Racking marrow Rum after 2 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottleinfrontofme

Reaction score
Morning All,

It's been 2 years since I made some Marrow Rum, it's looking pretty good, clear with sediment on the bottom. Other than cheesecloth or muslin, is there anything better to use to filter and bottle? I was thinking of siphoning it whilst it's upright, using a thin tube, sucking and draining it off to avoid disturbing the sediment. Someone told me to get charcoal to filter it through also?

When I do rack it, do I need to add Camden tablet to the new bottle?

Thanks in advance.

Best
James

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_112754181.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230918_112754181.MP.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 6
Just rack it into the bottles without disturbing the sediment. Throw the last dregs away. No need to filter, no need to add Campden tablets. If your demijohn is half empty as in the picture, I'd expect it to be a bit oxidised, but if it tastes good, it is good.

Last edited:
Just rack it into the bottles without disturbing the sediment. Throw the last dregs away. No need to filter, no need to add Campden tablets. If your demijohn is half empty as in the picture, I'd expect it to be a bit oxidised, but if it tastes good, it is good.
Thanks Clarence, thanks for the info. It smells good, strong,though a touch organic, similar to how it did when I was brewing it in the narrow 2 years ago. I thought filtering with carbon might help remove the potential taste that the smell is hinting at, ever so slight musky smell, otherwise you get a strong ethanol smell.

I did have an airlock fitted the entire time, not sure if this was correct but the recipe said leave the airlock fitted for up to 5 years.

Would the airlock prevent the acetic acid and oxidisation? Can you still drink it otherwise? Hopefully not 2 years wasted 🥲

Latest posts

Back