repeatedly adding sugar??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebell

Reaction score
Hi a friend who has donated some of my kit swears that the only way to make wine is by adding 50% of the sugar at first then topping it up as fermentation slows. He says this produces a much better wine and is more controllable and he gave it a technical name that I have now forgotten :whistle:

Any of you do this and if so does it really amke a difference?

I've only done it with my rice wine as I didn't want to put it all in at once. I have just added the 9th and final kilo of sugar to my 5 gallon batch.

I've heard that said but never really understood the logic behind it.

If I start with reduced sugar (like when the cupboard's been empty) I'm more likely to forget the later additions and end up with a low alcohol wine.

I agree with Doodles if you want to make rocket fuel, feed a fermentation and push your yeasties to their limit, gradual additions should mean that you never end up with an over-sweet end product.

Strictly speaking, true wine shouldn't involve sugar.

Moley said:
I've heard that said but never really understood the logic behind it.

If I start with reduced sugar (like when the cupboard's been empty) I'm more likely to forget the later additions and end up with a low alcohol wine.

I agree with Doodles if you want to make rocket fuel, feed a fermentation and push your yeasties to their limit, gradual additions should mean that you never end up with an over-sweet end product.

Strictly speaking, true wine shouldn't involve sugar.

Not worried about low alcohol BUT not keen on sweet wine :? No Sugar?? Surely the yeast needs sugar to feed off :?

bluebell said:
No Sugar?? Surely the yeast needs sugar to feed off :?
Yes, but true wine is made from wine grapes and all of the fermentable sugars should come from the grape juice. Adding other sugars (chaptalisation) is generally frowned upon and frequently prohibited.

I used to do this with my fruit based wines (in the 70's) and think the idea came from CJJ Berrys books.
My recipe at that time was 6lb of fruit per gal + 2lb of sugar added as 50+25+25 and yes they were sweeter wines - but that was what my audience (folks) wanted - I never drunk it myself :hmm: (I preferred lager/beer to wine then)

Now I tend to just make WOW and add all the sugar at the start - usually in 5gal batches :lol: (to keep the xyl happy)

Thanks guys not looking to over complicate things so will go with one load of sugar :thumb:

Latest posts

Back