Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well, a couple of weeks ago a gave a some of my neighbours a couple of bottles of rhubarb wine to drink.

It appears they have a liking to it because a mountain of rhubarb appeared at my house today, 11kg to be precise, so I have had a marathon chopping session and bought morrisons out of sugar.

5 Gallons of the finest Rhubarb country wine Is on the go.

UP

Loved the bottle I had given to me at xmas, so have 5 gallons too on the go.
Goozegog is another good one, sadly SWMBO has downed all that from last year :(

Sean_Mc said:
Loved the bottle I had given to me at xmas, so have 5 gallons too on the go.
Goozegog is another good one, sadly SWMBO has downed all that from last year :(

I have had goozegog and its good, we have a local gooseberry show near us in july, and the goosegogs are allways like bloody great plums, and sweet to, now if I could get my hands on a jag of those :wha: :wha: :drunk:

UP

I've a small red one in the garden, but thanfully I know a little ole lady with a huge bush :lol:

The dry sugar method. -

Chop the rhubarb into small pieces. Place in a bucket and cover with sugar.
Leave overnight Untill the sugar has dissolved. Strain off the syrup and cover the rhubarb with water to rinse off any remaining sugar. Add this liquid to the syrup.

corby_brewer said:
Chop the rhubarb into small pieces. Place in a bucket and cover with sugar.
Leave overnight Until the sugar has dissolved. Strain off the syrup and cover the rhubarb with water to rinse off any remaining sugar. Add this liquid to the syrup.

I scored 10 free DJs and 3lb of rubarb from one of the guys in work. I use the dry sugar extraction method (24 hours) but I rinse the sugar out with 3 runs of 500ml boiling water then squeeze out the remaining liquid from the pulp with a straining bag. I strongly advise letting it cool a little and make sure your hands are clean before squeezing that pulp. The flavour is somewhat stronger than the cold rinse method, so the wine is less useful for blending purposes but I like the stronger flavour.

I leave it 3 days before straining (& before we have any smart comments i am referring to the sugared rhubarb :D )

& then Give a good wash with water (Careful :nono: )
:rofl:

Sticky Vicky is still going strong and I belive does an act with her daughter now :shock:

Up

So, are they performers in a Benidorm club/bar then? Never heard of them, have they incorporated rhubarb into their act then I wonder?

Going to have a go at this rhubarb wine me thinks, my next door neighbour has loads of it but he's a funny old bugger - fortunately, I'm the only neighbour in our cul de sac that gets on with him so he should be cool :cool:

The problem is I also want them to thin out a some of their shrubs that are encroaching my garden - i just dont like asking for stuff, but... if you dont ask... ;) I wont mention his wifes overgrown bush... best not eh! :lol:

:cheers: CS

chiefstoker said:
So, are they performers in a Benidorm club/bar then? Never heard of them, have they incorporated rhubarb into their act then I wonder?

Going to have a go at this rhubarb wine me thinks, my next door neighbour has loads of it but he's a funny old bugger - fortunately, I'm the only neighbour in our cul de sac that gets on with him so he should be cool :cool:

The problem is I also want them to thin out a some of their shrubs that are encroaching my garden - i just dont like asking for stuff, but... if you dont ask... ;) I wont mention his wifes overgrown bush... best not eh! :lol:

:cheers: CS

This is Sticky Vicky do not click on the link and view unless you are broad minded & over 18.

Latest posts

Back