RO question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixhaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently acquired an RO system as our tap water is horrific (this one: Aquatic (RO) System Unit With Pump, DI Resin, 75GPD Auto Flush & LCD Computer Highly recommend the company, very helpful and good service). They state that the water that comes out of the final filter, the resin filter, is not food grade.
Anyone know why, and whether I should be using the resin filter for brewing, as it would bring it down to 0ppm (it's 4-5ppm without that filter).
Cheers!
Nic

I miss the DI stage on my RO unit for brewing. Thanks it's about 4 as well.
Think its something to do with no minerals or salts so it's best avoided if drinking.

It's only a problem if it's used for drinking water.
It's because it removes all the minerals and the water becomes a magnet. It will absorb minerals from my anything it can, metal for instance, and even the human body.
It's banned for drinking water by WHO in places that have a reading of less than 500ppm.
However, your not drinking it as water, you put minerals back into your water for beer brewing so there's not a problem.

Thanks @Rob11TC and @hughjamton . I was worried that the resin imparted some awful carcinogenic chemicals or something!
Also couldn't figure out what to put as the base into water calculators, I know it's 5ppm but not which minerals. If I can just take it down to zero and go from there for building the liquor that makes it more simple.

When I lived in Canada we all drank RO water but added mineral drops to it, I think I'll add a pinch of Himalayan salt to the RO drinking water. It's so much nicer than the foul stuff that comes out of the taps here in Suffolk.

I just take it as 0 for everything and don't worry about the 5ppm
I might be wrong though!

Latest posts

Back