Spruce Tips - Get them now or they'll be gone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
If you want to make a spruce ale now's the time to pick spruce tips. Just been for a walk with the dog and managed to collect 4litres of lovely soft fresh light green tips.

I'm in Fife - further south (where Spring has been going for 4weeks extra) you may have to go deeper into the trees or the Northern end of any forest to get the new tips.

I'll chuck a loose 1 to 2 litres of tips into a boil for 60mins.

The rest will be frozen so there will be no waiting till next spring to brew more spruce ale.

F

I usually brew a spruce saison about 1054...it got a good score at 2012 nationals.

60min seems to be the magic mark for the boil. There was some article many eons ago in zymurgy, I think.

Anyway, more than 60 and it becomes too "piney" also there is some sugar extracted from the spruce.

I believe that I've had some of the spruce saison at a brew demo in Fife in 2012?? It was an incredible beer - one of those where you do a double take with the first sip. It's inspired me to do the saison from Brewing Classic Styles - mine came out drinkable but not nearly as good as Farmbrew's.

To the forest this weekend to harvest some spruce tips...

Thanks L

Yes it was at Dunfies brewday last year.

Don't use (Scots) pine tips (they arent out yet anyway) or the darker hardened spruce tips or you get that wood polish taste...

I've used Korean pine (its actually more like a spruce) tips too and the favour is a bit mire resinous.

Happy picking

F

Spruce Saison sounds interesting, sadly we don't have any Spruce in my neck of the woods. Otherwise I'd give it a go. It is about time for Elderflower though.

M

You could try Alder ale...it's a Norwegian farm beer.

Get some finger width alder branches. Cut them up into lengths so that they can be laid across the bottom of your mash tun.

Strip or score the bark then halve them along their length. Place all the sticks at the bottom of the mash tun. Add all the fine twigs (that you have just cut off) to the top.

As you cut them/strip the alder you'll notice the wood darkening to red.

Mash an ale as usual. The paler the ale the better you'll pick up the taste and the colour.

Any alder variety will do...you'll find them along rivers, lakes and bogs etc

F

I am brewing a spruce beer and have been let down on an order of tips. Would you happen to have any you would be willing to sell Farmbrew?

Back