Storing bottled wine (and turbo cider)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidger

Regular.
Reaction score
Having collected 50 - 60 wine bottles I'm now considering my options of how and where to store my wine when I have amassed some.

A 30 bottle wine rack for starters was considered for shed or conservatory but having been reading around the forum I was reminded of the pit falls of temperature variations.
An old thread revealed a good idea of behind kitchen cupboard kick boards but I have dismissed this for now as a pita.

I'm considering asda bottle bags as I have one and think they would be useful since they hold 6 bottles and have carry handles to move about easily, (out of a freezing shed for instance) 😁
I have a large under stairs walk in cupboard but unfortunately this gets overloaded with junk from the other occupants of the house 🙄
Even the 12 wine storage spaces either side of the kitchen cupboards are full of junk ffs.
My conundrum seems to be aesthetics or practicality. 😁
A single life may alleviate some of my burdens.

I'd be interested to hear or see pics of storage solutions.

And to end, I was interested to read this scientific answer to storing corked bottles on their sides having read quite a few threads and opinions on here the last few hours.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/06/storing-wine-on-its-side-is-bullsht-says-scientist/

I'll probably just chuck all the cider in the shed with a blanket this winter

I wouldn't over think it though I'd probably avoid the conservatory as they can get properly hot at times.

All my brews are out in my garage, it's dark and cool for most of the year though does warm up a bit in the summer / gets colder in the winter but it would have to be properly cold for anything to freeze. Everything's been fine to date.

We use one of the lower kitchen cupboards on an outside facing wall it's tall enough to stand 750ml bottles upright and stays cool in summer..

I wouldn't over think it though I'd probably avoid the conservatory as they can get properly hot at times.

All my brews are out in my garage, it's dark and cool for most of the year though does warm up a bit in the summer / gets colder in the winter but it would have to be properly cold for anything to freeze. Everything's been fine to date.
We use one of the lower kitchen cupboards on an outside facing wall it's tall enough to stand 750ml bottles upright and stays cool in summer..

How much bottled booze do you fellas have stored at a time ?

I make a 30 bottle wine kit then guestimate when stocks will run low i then start another to overlap, it works most of the time so no need for mass storage for us.

I make a 30 bottle wine kit then guestimate when stocks will run low i then start another to overlap, it works most of the time so no need for mass storage for us.

As @Graz said, I'm over thinking it, and being greedy lol.

Anyway, my bench capper, bottle tree and caps etc arrived from geterbrewed today.
Also the novatwist tops the other day, cheers 👍

Currently around 90 bottles though I'm going drink a little of it over the weekend 😉 Then there's the 6 x 19L cornies,3 in the kegerator in various states of fill, and 3 full / conditioning.

I've got two wine coolers, they give me storage for 70 bottles of wine. I got the older model of this (Wine cooler) on offer at £90 but they have keeped my reds at 12 - 14c for the last few years.

Latest posts

Back