Summit and Athanum IPA - Recipe advise

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroBrew

Reaction score
After many frustrating trips to the homebrew store and looking on various online retailers and finding there US hop stocks at a low namely Amarillo, Centennial, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe etc I went for a few flavour profiles that im familiar with drinking but not brewing.

Im looking to make a tropical/ citrus IPA - Nothing to dank or bitter.

Extract
5Gal yield
OG 1.065 FG 1.015
IBUs 48.8
8.2 SRM

1.75kg Pale Liquid extract - 60mins
1kg Extra light DME - 60mins
1.75kg liquid malt extract - 40mins

Hops

1/2 oz Summit - 60min
1/2 oz Summit - 20min
1 oz Ahtanum - 5min
1 oz Summit - Dryhop 5 days
1 oz Ahtanum - Dryhop 5 days

Yeast

Starter made with California Ale WLP001

Just wondered peoples experience with these hops by themselves or together?

Any changes to timings or anything?

I also picked up some falconers flight and cascade so could be swayed to substitute if im way off the mark with this recipe!

Going to be brewing this weekend! :thumb:

Thanks!

I can't help very much here, I've not used ahtanum or Falconers. But ahtanum is similar to cascade, apparently, and FF is a blend of US hops. I'd be a bit wary of Summit, it can be over powering. Maybe drop the 20 min addition. Add some FF maybe.

I can't help very much here, I've not used ahtanum or Falconers. But ahtanum is similar to cascade, apparently, and FF is a blend of US hops. I'd be a bit wary of Summit, it can be over powering. Maybe drop the 20 min addition. Add some FF maybe.

Thanks, Is there anything else I could use instead of Summit for bittering?

I was first thinking of combining the Ahtanum and Cascade (Ive had a nice few beers using Cascade for bittering) and maybe wouldnt overpower as you say?

You could use cascade for bittering. Use summit for dry hop or very late additions. It will add some nice flavours.

You could use cascade for bittering. Use summit for dry hop or very late additions. It will add some nice flavours.

Ok thanks, Im interested to see how the Summit comes il keep it for the dryhop

Ahtanum is nice. I've heard it compared to cascade before, but having tried it in a single-hop pale, I find it has a unique flavour. You may recognise it in Brewdog Punk IPA.

Do you have a decent wort chiller? If not, I'd be tempted to make your last addition at flame-out.

After further research ive read that Summit varies incredibly with alot of complaints of garlic and sweat smells. Doesnt sound good. So Im now concerned about that part... I may do split the batch of and dry hop with summit alongside to see if i get the same thing.

Anyone had that problem with Summit?

Ahtanum is nice. I've heard it compared to cascade before, but having tried it in a single-hop pale, I find it has a unique flavour. You may recognise it in Brewdog Punk IPA.

Do you have a decent wort chiller? If not, I'd be tempted to make your last addition at flame-out.

Id read it was the unique flavour and aroma hop used for Punk IPA.

I dont know how decent it is but i do have a homemade one! Although im interested to see how good it is now so I will time it this weekend :thumb: and we do have some mighty cold outside water temps atm.

From my experiences Summit is good for flameout and dry hopping, it's boiling for a while that produces the distinctive flavour, which some people like and some don't. I could be wrong. It's not a hop to dismiss, people have very different opinions of it. I prefer other hops for bittering, use Summit for aroma.

After further research ive read that Summit varies incredibly with alot of complaints of garlic and sweat smells. Doesnt sound good. So Im now concerned about that part... I may do split the batch of and dry hop with summit alongside to see if i get the same thing.

Anyone had that problem with Summit?

I've used it quite a lot as a late hop (not dry hop though), the primary character was piney.

I have heard it being described as oniony and garlicy but not experienced it myself using it.

It has fairly similar characteristics to Simcoe and is often referenced as a possible substitute for it.

I think Falconer's Flight is great, my IPA turned out nicely using all late and dry hops, with columbus for bittering. Nice and citrusy.

Back