transfer from Fermzilla to pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking for some advice to transfer a carbed beer from my Fermzilla to a pressure barrel - I don't want the expense and complication of Corny kegs & CO2. Yesterday's transfer, the first with a carbed beer, was a simple syphon from the FZ to the purged PB.

Looking at a more closed transfer it would make sense to transfer via one of the collection jar ports through a tube into the PB to avoid venting a lot of condition, possibly via a port & dip tube on the PB cap. The obvious issues being having some kind of tap on the outlet on the FZ.

Has anyone done this & can recommend a setup?

You will need a gas bottle to transfer. If you can put a liquid and gas post on the lid of the pressure barrel, or minimal a liquid post, and use the PRV to vent the gas from the pressure barrel as it fills.
The other option is to get a Junior or Chubby, they are cheap, and come with the posts and floating dip tube. Just get a cheap picnic tap to serve. Whichever way the gas bottle is needed to push the liquid out.
With a Junior or Chubby you can purge them with your fermenting gasses.

My idea was to use the bottom port on the FZ to transfer. I think the way to go is use one of my plastic ball lock posts on the collection pot, the other somehow mounted on the PB lid with a dip tube. Purge the PB as much as possible with an 8g cartridge and connect the tube to the FZ. Conditioning pressure & hydrostatic pressure should then complete the transfer, having loosened the PB lid to allow air to be displaced. Finally another 8g cartridge to last remaining air out.
Does this sound workable?

You need about 62 grams of co2 to purge a keg, so it will be a lot of mucking about and expensive. With a gas post on your pressure barrel you can then purge it for free, I am pretty sure Buffers Brewery has a gas and liquid post on his PB. Just get a gas bottle, will make life a lot easier.

Buffers Brewery has a gas and liquid post on his PB.
Indeed I do. My cap fits 4" King Keg neck.
IMG_20201013_121054568.jpg

Latest posts

Back