us-05 at 22c

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been fermenting a beer with us-05 at 19 c for about 6 days and it was at 1010. So I thought I'd up the temp to finish it off so I could dry hop (as the head stays thick for ages) tasted today and its dropped another 2 points after 3 days but tastes rank! Alcoholic, solvent like smell and taste. I'm not happy as I've ruined it.

This has never happened with other yeasts. Does anyone else have experience of this with us-05?

The off flavors you are explaining sound a lot like a wild yeast got into the wort at some point. Brewer's yeast does not create those fusels at the temp you've described, but plenty of wild yeast does.

Depending on the OG of the wort, the sachramycies (brewer's yeast) will drop out at 1.010 unless it is a session beer, then maybe 1.008. Wild yeast will consume the unfermentable sugars left behind, and create the flavors and aromas you are talking about. That would account for the drop in gravity as well.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497589,-120.852995

I've had wild yeast before that didn't taste like this. Was fine after 6 days, shaping up to be a nice beer. Hmmph

I made a wine and heated it on a heat mat for the first week or so- never checked the temperature but I'm pretty sure it was too warm. It smelt of rubber/solvents like you said, really nasty horrible smell that you wouldn't want to put near your mouth. I left it for 6 months and the smell definitely had deteriorated- it doesn't taste too bad but you can still tell it's there. I'm just forgetting about it now and I'll come back to it much later.

robsan77 said:
Wilt said:
what did you step up the temperature to?
See post subject. :D

:cheers:

I use US-05 a fair bit, never had any problems at that temperature. Was it a new dry Sachet, or some other application method?

I pitched on the 10th, my STC1000 cocked up or rather i set it up wrong so rather than 18 it went up to 23 for a night, i dont think the airlock stopped moving! I cooled i back to 19. I dont have a tap so I cant check mine for flavour but its got the US-05 signature gunky krausen, appears to have finished fermentation after 2 days and is cloudy as sin! I was worried about the break material in mine but its all been consumed by the yeast and has disappeared!

Just have to be patient this time and wait for it to clear before kegging!

I've never had any probs with US-05 at a high temp, I use it quite a lot as a fall back yeast when I haven't got a starter going. Never had it ferment out in 2 days though, usually nearer 2 weeks.

Just to clear this one up, the brew turned sour. So it was an infection and not the yeast temp.

Back