Wanting to make imperial stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shug

Reaction score
With the aid of beersmith and some random musings found on the web, I came up with this for a 10 litre batch size:
4kg Maris otter
0.5kg crystal malt (120L)
0.15kg chocolate malt
0.2kg munich malt
15g galena 60 min boil
30g bramling cross 15 min boil
Scottish ale yeast (Wyeast 1728)

Est OG 1109
Est FG 1027
Est colour 77.5EBC
Est IBU 49.8
ABV 10.9%

Does this seem realistic/viable/drinkable!? :cheers:

Shug said:
With the aid of beersmith and some random musings found on the web, I came up with this for a 10 litre batch size:
4kg Maris otter
0.5kg crystal malt (120L)
0.15kg chocolate malt
0.2kg munich malt
15g galena 60 min boil

Drop the Munich Malt . . . reduce the Crystal to 400g . . . Add some roast barley / Black malt say 100g. . . . . Add 500g of Soft Dark Brown Sugar - want to try and the FG down to around 1.018-1.020

Increase your bittering hops to give an IBU around 90-100

Cheers aleman,
4kg Maris otter
0.4kg crystal malt (120L)
0.15kg chocolate malt
0.1kg Roasted barley
0.5kg dark brown sugar
37g galena 60 min boil

gives me est og 1123 and fg of 1022, 92.3 ebc and 90 IBU giving a rather potent 13.6%!
Will definately need some smaller bottles than 500ml for this one! :drunk:

Just looked at the yeast and it says its only good up to about 12%
Is there a recommended yeast for an imperial stout this strong?

wow nice how long you going to leave it befour you have a drink or 2 lol :drink:

Shug said:
Cheers aleman,
4kg Maris otter
0.4kg crystal malt (120L)
0.15kg chocolate malt
0.1kg Roasted barley
0.5kg dark brown sugar
37g galena 60 min boil

gives me est og 1123 and fg of 1022, 92.3 ebc and 90 IBU giving a rather potent 13.6%!
Will definately need some smaller bottles than 500ml for this one! :drunk:

I used dried nottingham in my RIS - worked a treat, its been in the bottle 7months and i`ve tried about 6 along the way :D I have around 60 plus left bottled in 275ml guiness bottles - should be left for up to two years but its hard to leave it alone having said that six months in the bottle makes a massive difference :thumb: good luck with it :cool:

Just bottled this and the fg was 1016, making it 10% exactly.
First tasting reveals a beer with muscle! Strong licorice (is that how its spelt) flavours, with good roastiness backing it up. Not sweet, not bitter. Just right!
Now to try leave it alone for a while!

A few bottles were cracked open in good company over new year and it got a good reception. Licorice flavour has mellowed a little. very smooth. not convinced its to my taste tho. I'd like something more like orkney porter (dare I ask the difference between stout and porter? :D )

My RIS has an OG of 1.114 and an FG of 1.018. I use a 4L starter of 2 wyeast Scottish wee heavy yeast smack packs. The yeast is very resilient, and can attenuate down under the high stress of increased alcohol.

You can see what some of us have done here **************************/2012/01/01/a ... ial-stout/ scroll down to the bottom to find other peoples Imperial Stout.

I've just bottled a keg that I had stored away till now. So, 10 months maturing. Just drinking the left overs that werent enough to make a bottle (would have been if i hadnt taken off a wee glass to sample as I bottled :D )
I've now reclassified it from quite nice to damn fine! Its become mildly carbonated which adds to it. Its a lot smoother, and seems slightly sweeter.
I can heartily recommend finding the inner strength to leave an imperial stout/porter alone for a while to mature. :drink:
10% :D

I have 2 corny that are over 3 years old now and 1 thats 2 years old, Still not drinking them :D

Can I dip in on this thread? I will soon rack off my Oktoberfest lager to secondary, I was thinking of using the Wyeast Oktoberfest yeast cake on a IRS? Should I ferment at lager temps or ale temp with a lager yeast?

I would say using a lager yeast at ale temps in a stout will get some funky flavours I bet. But then Lager temps and a RIS will take forever to ferment.

I'd certainly stick to the lager temps for lager yeasts

Back