Water profile and yeast prep for a Tripel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are people’s thoughts on optimum water profile for a Tripel? It’s our first strong Belgian brew so keen to get off to a good start. We normally use one of our 3 default profiles: Ale/IPA, Lager/Pils or Stout/Porter. But figured this might benefit from something more bespoke.

Secondly we’re doing a small batch (10 litres) so was only planning on using one packet of Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522 yeast. Do people think this is sufficient without creating a starter? OG is 1.084 and yeast is fairly fresh.

Last edited:
Water: get a balance of 1:1 regarding chloride and sulphates. I really find this the best for Belgian styles, certainly for a tripel. Not too sweet, nor too minerally.

Regarding yeast: check with a yeast calculator. I always try to slightly underpitch, at 0,65 pitch rate instead of 0.75. I haven't had any problems with that, and it gives a better yeast profile. I do add a bit of extra yeast nutrition (I even add a bit of pure DAP extra).

If there is sugar in your tripel, add it as invert syrup. The immediate uptake of glucose by the yeast also helps the yeast profile.

@chthon suggestion is a good start, although I think it depends on which end of the tripel spectrum you prefer. I'm not a fan of Karmeliet, I'd rather have a more bitter, hoppy one like Westmalle or ideally De Ranke Guldenburg. I've ended up with a 'trappiste' profile that's part way between lager and pale ale profile with around a 4:1 ratio, simply by using calcium (via gypsum) to offset the bicarbonate in my water.

Back