Woodfords Wherry Bitter Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casual Brewer

Reaction score
Hi Again Everyone

I am currently brewing a Woodfords Wherry Bitter kit. I bottled it 2 weeks ago and it's clearing nicely. The lady in the homebrew shop advised me as it's brewed by Muntons you normally would have to leave it upto 6 weeks in order to get the most flavour and satisfaction from the beer when drinking it, is this true, does anyone know how long I should leave it in order to get the best out of the kit?

Cheerw :cheers:

I would agree with the lady in your HBS, that brew needs a couple of months.

Agree it'll need time to condition, but if its been bottled for a couple of weeks now I'd have a cheeky sample, if only to see if there carbonated to your liking.

patience and time are you best allies when brewing..... :thumb:

get another one started ,then a juice wine then a ginger beer then a cider....... :rofl:
and b4 you know it your wherry will be mature ...and you will have others to drink as well.... :party:

im 6 months into home brewing and have around 150 litres of various brews :cheers:
stored,and have really only just started to run out of one or two favorites,

so im doing more of them, a log is the key to keeping track of it all... ;)

Sean_Mc said:
but if its been bottled for a couple of weeks now I'd have a cheeky sample
Sorry, I assumed that went without saying ;)

Quality Testing is obligatory, but try to restrict that to one test per week or by the time it's ready there won't be any left.

Great stuff thanks everybody... I 'll give it plenty more time I think, Ive got another Tom Caxton real ale in the FV and a nice lager in the pressure barrell thats neary ready! so plenty to look forward too.. :thumb:

Casual Brewer said:
Great stuff thanks everybody... I 'll give it plenty more time I think, Ive got another Tom Caxton real ale in the FV and a nice lager in the pressure barrell thats neary ready! so plenty to look forward too.. :thumb:

not so much a casual brewer then..... :rofl:

i have a tom caxton best bitter in the fv, the last one great.... :cheers:

I am drinking the wherry now and it did take a bit of time to clear. Its been in the barrel for more than 3 months and I was not enjoying it as it is a shade bitter as if hop oils had been used. I think its all down to patience. But really barrelled beer seems to take absolute patience. I have now ordered a crown corker and I will be bottling mine in future and laying it down for much longer. Like Moley says its easy to keep sampling till there's none left so its just a case of keeping brewing and getting a real stock up.
I can see this Wherry being better as it gets older. It is mellowing in the barrel but very slowly. In bottles I think it will mature and clear quicker but maybe I just have a liking for glass and the old ways.
I threw away all my pet bottles a few months back. I was getting a taste and headaches and I decided it was plastic. Could be a nonsense . Could be all in my head. Anyway I have eliminated possible sources of contamination and gone for the old way as being the best way.
Barrel it when the ferment gets too slow. Leave it in the barrel till its clear then bottle it in clean glass and lay it down for anything up to a year is my aim.
Of course it doesn't ever work that way.
Stocks are low.
I'm a greedy B------

But its good stuff.

Back