Yeast starters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilt

Reaction score
Hi I made a yeast starter last week and got it up to 2ltr. When I was ready to pitch last Saturday the aroma was great, really light and fruity. However, the flavour of the liquor was not great. I tasted phenols and wasn't that impressed with so ditched the lot. I have since thought was I a bit hasty?

I wasn't trying to make beer I was trying to grow yeast.

Should the flavour and aroma preclude me from using the stepped up yeast in a larger brew?

Wilt said:
I wasn't trying to make beer I was trying to grow yeast.

I think you've answered your own question. As long as the starter smells ok then it is good to use. You would normally pour off or decant the spent wort from your starter on brewday and then add some cooled wort taken from half way through your boil and by the time your ready to pitch your yeast will be rearing to go.

thanks, as I suspected.

I had the starter over the fireplace so the temperature could have been anywhere.

and that's why you would have got off flavours in the wort, but the yeast would be fine. I like to do my starters at about 21c including lager yeasts, although the temperature is not critical.

Back