pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alternatively a 20 quid barrel and c30 valve is about 8 quid, probably less on Ebay. Drill the cap yourself and a soda stream like bottle (mine is branded Hambleton Bard) lasts a good while and cost 6 quid or so to refill. This way you don't have to pay out for bulb holder, your c02 is cheaper and you save a few quid on the barrel itself.

With the corny you've got to buy the keg, the gas regulator, the gas itself and a pouring tap. You're easily shelling out 100 quid plus that way and the corney "Starter kits" I've seen online start at about 120 with those crappy c02 bulbs, which will cost you a lot in the long run as they don't last long.

I'm already there with 3 cornie kegs (soon to be 4) and a pub co2 bottle with regulator.
Yes the initial investment is high but the convenience & reliability is worthwhile.
I look at brewing as a long term investment, if you buy quality it will last longer.
It also means that I don't have to prime the keg any more - just add finings pressure to 30psi shake for 10 mins and the beer is clear in a couple of days and can be drunk.
Also it's so easy to move around, chill the keg if required and take it to parties, its a win win situation.

Springtime, i totally agree with you on all you've said, but if you simply don't havr the pennys to lay out initially then the cornies are no go's.
Like said, your looking at over £100 to get just the 1 set up where if your frugal you get an economy barrel set to go for around £40 and then £30 for each one after that, so for the same price as a cornie you can have 3 to 4 economys!

I know that cornies are better in every way but for some one just starting the economys are great.

hi all... :thumb: .
well im hoping to get 2 king kegs from ebay ...
there only 5 mins up the road from me ...
so i went and looked at them 2day...

the woman told me shes had them 4 years ...
and she got them second hand ...

but there still in good nik...

finger x they dont go to high / price wise...
bidding finishes today .. :thumb: .

ill let you no the out come later ...
regards mick... :hat: .

well i got them ...
but one is leaking from the valve intake ..
and the other i cant get the co2 in to it as it comes out of the holder before i screw it up fully ....

im very peed off ..

ill take them to the brew shop and see what they say to do ...
i dont mind getting new seals ...but i think one of the co2 valves might be wankered

ps

i just tried the c02 on the first valve again ...
and it goes off before its screwed all the way up ...

so i think its my buld holder thats wankered...
its one of the red ones ..

heres some pics
013_zpsb52e6034.jpg

014_zps52219d7a.jpg

regards mick... :hat:

Spanish_brewer said:
How long does the beer last once you start the keg?

i dont no bud...
i only got my kegs 2day...
and there leaking so havent been able to use them yet ...

DamageCase said:
Replace the caps with C30 valves. The canisters last a lot longer than the bulbs and they seem pretty sturdy.

i do have 2 c30 valves ...
they came with the containers ...
ill need new seals ...
but how much are the canisters ...

DamageCase said:
22 quid initially and then 6 quid to refill. I've had mine since early November without needing a refill I reckon they're a good investment.

are soda stream canisters the same .. :pray:

I think they're similar but I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else here will know. Failing that ask at your home-brew shop when you take your kegs in.

DamageCase said:
I think they're similar but I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else here will know. Failing that ask at your home-brew shop when you take your kegs in.

ill do that 2moro thanks .. :thumb: .

Spanish_brewer said:

I have had beer in one for over 3 months. If you are really careful to not overly aerate the beer during transfer then give it the tiniest squirt of co2 then bleed that off a little later you should get rid of most if not all the oxygen and the beer should be pretty good from first to last. Don't know if it would go any longer than this as it somehow keeps going down too quick :cheers:

ok update ...
i took the valves out to look at the seals ...
and they look great ....

so i looked at the other 2 caps and they looked ok as well...

then i saw what i hope/think is the problem ....

the 2 differant valves were in the wrong caps ....

as they fit totally differently...

one is flat on 2 sides ...
the other only on one side ...

so iv put lots of vaseline under and on top of the seals including he cap o rings ...

but i cant try them yet...

as the other problem i have is...

the threads had stripped in the buld holder ...
hence the c02 escaping and not going in to the keg....

ill be going over the shop later to get another bulb holder...
so fingers x iv sorted it out ...

regards mick... .

orlando said:
Spanish_brewer said:

I have had beer in one for over 3 months. If you are really careful to not overly aerate the beer during transfer then give it the tiniest squirt of co2 then bleed that off a little later you should get rid of most if not all the oxygen and the beer should be pretty good from first to last. Don't know if it would go any longer than this as it somehow keeps going down too quick :cheers:

thank you orlando ... :thumb: .

ill try to remember this when i get to use them .. ..

:rofl: i can see what you mean about it going down to quick...
if its a good pint it will not be in there long.... :D .

mick may said:
orlando said:
[quote="Spanish_brewer":daieopjo]How long does the beer last once you start the keg?

thank you orlando ... :thumb: .

ill try to remember this when i get to use them .. ..

:rofl: i can see what you mean about it going down to quick...
if its a good pint it will not be in there long.... :D .

regards mick... :hat: .[/quote:daieopjo]

I recall you saying you have a tendency to over tighten, well if no one has mentioned it so far a really good tip is to take the cap O ring out and slaver a dollop of petroleum jelly on it, this will really help with sealing, so you don't have to have it more than hand tight.

yes i have been told not to do it to tight and to use vaseline...
which im putting on right now... :thumb: .

as iv just bought a new valve and a cylinder...
003_zps7f28f054.jpg

004_zps20262c7a.jpg

as you can see its fitted and working fine ....
its filled up to the top of the tap with water ...
and iv given it a 2 second blast of c02...just to see its sealed and holds over night ...

iv now taken the cylinder back off and put it in my drawer...
i well happy with it .. :D

i did buy 2 but im only keeping 1...

so my mate is putting the other 1 back on ebay for me ...

Latest posts

Back