allinson yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its good at producing co2 to rise bread quicker I suppose it could be used to prime up at packaging stage?
Assuming the beer isn't a big abv beer? If I cold crashed my beer and was unsure of how much yeast make it to the bottling stage I would probably have a go making a priming solution with a touch of yeast to speed up carbonation. However, I don't cold crash and my beer carbs up in 5 days usually.

Only use bread yeast for whiskey, rum or brandy wash.
Bread yeast will make beer, cider, wine etc have off flavours and will likely never clear unless you use finings or cold crash.

off flavours and will likely never clear unless you use finings or cold crash.

This subject is discussed fairly regularly here and off flavours are usually mentioned I don't remember anyone actually using it and having a problem with flavours.

I have over a kilo in stock all the time, oh yeah I have tried it.

Yes it is very fluffy. Yes you might pour a bit. Yes it's a bit "just beer" bland.

It cleared just the same as other yeasts.

The name "bread yeast" is a purpose not a flavour description.

It tastes like YEAST not bread. Just the same as any other yeast that accidentally finds it way into the glass does.

.. And for me, you would have to tip a lot into the glass to taste it at all.

Ps. All bread yeasts are not the same, just as beer yeasts are not the same.

Ps. All bread yeasts are not the same, just as beer yeasts are not the same.
Exactly, and in particular European bread yeasts are not the same as US bread yeast which is where most of the discussion about bad flocculation etc comes from.

Remember that historically there was no difference between yeast for bread and yeast for brewing - one of the purposes of brewing beer at home was to grow up yeast that was then destroyed in breadmaking. USians are just unlucky that the yeast that was selected by one of their main baking companies is not very good as a beer yeast.

Has anyone actually tried it?
It's a thing I've been meaning to do for ages so watch this space.

Back in the dark ages, I used to buy an Australian beer from Safeway. It came in oversize, clear bottles and it was impossible to pour a clear pint. I got it in my head that it was Little Creatures, but I think I;m probably wrong. And, it had a lovely, bready taste.
Coopers?

I don't think I've ever seen Coopers in UK supermarkets other than Whole Foods, whereas there was a moment when Kirin-Lion brewed their Little Creatures brand at Fourpure in London (which they also owned before selling it last year) and it did get in to some supermarkets for a while.

Bready taste tends to come more from malt than yeast though.

Chippy Tea said - This subject is discussed fairly regularly here and off flavours are usually mentioned I don't remember anyone actually using it and having a problem with flavours.
As i said above this subject has been discussed many times my post below was taken from this thread - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/bread-yeast-in-beer.90882/post-971080

The subject of using bakers yeast comes up fairly regularly and members views are always split.

1710614019987.png

Common issues with Baker’s yeast

In addition to the low tolerance baker yeast normally has to alcohol, there is another major issue which will concern those brewers seeking a perfect beer.

flocculation
Baker’s yeast generally has poor flocculation qualities when compared to most types of brewer’s yeast. flocculation is the process where the yeast forms into ‘flocs’ or ‘flakes’ and collects together before falling out of suspension and settling in the trub.

Having a high flocculating yeast, or one that does it at all, is desirable because it leads to a clearer beer and there will not be the overpowering taste of yeast in your beer. However, this isn’t always an issue for some homebrewers and is actually desirable in some beer types.

You can, of course, combat the cloudiness of your beer through several methods, including cold crashing and the use of finings. If you suffer from a cloudy beer.

flavor
Another issue that has come up in my research is that many brewers complain about the taste that baker’s yeast gives to their beer. Baker’s yeast can produce phenolic flavors, some between cloves or band-aid, which have been bred out of most brewer’s yeast strains.

In some cases, the yeasty or bready flavor compliments the beer well but most people say they really didn’t like it at all.

So, it seems that if the need is desperate, go for it but if you have access to brewer’s yeast then you’ll get a better tasting beer.

Read in full here - https://beercreation.com/bread-yeas...ctly the same species,higher ABV beer or wine.

Last edited:
As i said above this subject has been discussed many times my post below was taken from this thread - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/bread-yeast-in-beer.90882/post-971080

The subject of using bakers yeast comes up fairly regularly and members views are always split.

Common issues with Baker’s yeast

In addition to the low tolerance baker yeast normally has to alcohol,....Baker’s yeast generally has poor flocculation qualities when compared to most types of brewer’s yeast....many brewers complain about the taste that baker’s yeast gives to their beer. Baker’s yeast can produce phenolic flavors, some between cloves....

So, it seems that if the need is desperate, go for it but if you have access to brewer’s yeast then you’ll get a better tasting beer.
These are all things that seem to be true of US bread yeast, but in my experience of actually brewing with European bread yeast, they don't seem to really apply here. But as most discussion is about US bread yeast, people just assume that European bread yeast is the same and it just isn't.

Exactly, and in particular European bread yeasts are not the same as US bread yeast which is where most of the discussion about bad flocculation etc comes from.

Remember that historically there was no difference between yeast for bread and yeast for brewing - one of the purposes of brewing beer at home was to grow up yeast that was then destroyed in breadmaking. USians are just unlucky that the yeast that was selected by one of their main baking companies is not very good as a beer yeast.

These are all things that seem to be true of US bread yeast, but in my experience of actually brewing with European bread yeast, they don't seem to really apply here. But as most discussion is about US bread yeast, people just assume that European bread yeast is the same and it just isn't.

Ditto.... in my experience of actually brewing with uk bread yeast, they don't seem to really apply here.

Baker’s yeast can produce phenolic flavors, some between cloves or band-aid, which have been bred out of most brewer’s yeast strains.
Terminology aside (am I right in thinking that a band-aid is a sticking plaster?), this seems yet another thing that sets the US folk and us aside.

I've never (nor known anyone who has), either deliberately or accidentally, eaten a sticking plaster/band-aid. So I have no idea what flavour they have. WTF are the Americans doing that the taste of a sticking plaster is so ubiquitous?

Back