New FV reccomendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thumbs up for these. I just swapped out my bin/bucket style fermenter for one of these and it works a treat. I feel a lot safer moving it around too, as it has good robust handles.
I have two of these, they're great. Getting a spare lid without the airlock bung hole in is handy for sanitizing and also giving the fv a good shake for aerating wort.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

A thumbs up for these. I just swapped out my bin/bucket style fermenter for one of these and it works a treat. I feel a lot safer moving it around too, as it has good robust handles.

I have a small space under the stairs where i think one of those would fit as you say the handles would make it much easier to get into position and that screw on top is a bit belt & braces which i like.

Is that the one with the screw on top like below, i like the look of that, how do you find gaining access to clean it can you reach the bottom?

Fermenter-The-Home-Brew-Shop-UK.jpg

No, mine are like this.
1EF1AF02-2372-4646-BC9C-25A90722801B.jpg

I have 2 of the Young's wide neck and recently got a 30 litre one like the second photo from brewsmarter and they certainly have a great seal.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I have a wide neck one that I turned into my bottling bucket.

The one thing I find a little tricky with these is racking to my bottling bucket as it is so deep, but it's manageable and as you say the advantage of the handles and the robustness is great. I'm going to make a sour beer soon so will need to replace this FV, definitely will be like for like.

I have two 15litre buckets that I use for smaller batches which are fine but I haven't fitted air locks, the lid rises which tells me I've got activity and i can depress it every couple of days. Clearly it's not completely airtight but touch wood no issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the one with the screw on top like below, i like the look of that, how do you find gaining access to clean it can you reach the bottom?

This is the one I got in the tesco sale for �£7, I've currently got it full of water (sitting 24 hrs to warm and de chlorine) and it's so easy to move about and doesn't seem as big and unwieldy as you'd think.
I haven't used it yet in anger, but my first 30 bottle kit has arrived so it won't be long.

You could always fit a tap on it.:whistle::grin:

I think I'm going to have to. There's a spot basically waiting for a tap to to be fitted on it. After a few batches I'm now fairly convinced that this wouldn't interfere with the yeast cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one of these Youngs wide neck FVs last week. I like it a lot. Nice and sturdy, easy to carry with the handles, and slightly narrower than my old bucket, which means I can fit 2 of them in my brew cupboard.

But I found it wasn't ideal for kit brews. It was more difficult to mix the gloopy malt with water in the FV because of the narrow neck, and with the thin and tall FV it is harder to get my paddle to the bottom. And when topping up to 23L I like to pour the water in from a height to aerate, but I can't do this with the narrow neck without making a mess.

But these little things aside, it is a really nice FV and will be great for all-grain brews where I don't need to mix in the FV. I think I'll use my old bucket FV for any future kit brews though.

Has anyone fitted a tap to one of these? The tap mounting position looks very high on the FV. Do you find you lose a lot of liquid, or can you tilt it all out?

How sturdy are those handles? Anyone had any accidents carrying a full one?

I got one of these Youngs wide neck FVs last week. I like it a lot. Nice and sturdy, easy to carry with the handles, and slightly narrower than my old bucket, which means I can fit 2 of them in my brew cupboard.

But I found it wasn't ideal for kit brews. It was more difficult to mix the gloopy malt with water in the FV because of the narrow neck, and with the thin and tall FV it is harder to get my paddle to the bottom. And when topping up to 23L I like to pour the water in from a height to aerate, but I can't do this with the narrow neck without making a mess.

But these little things aside, it is a really nice FV and will be great for all-grain brews where I don't need to mix in the FV. I think I'll use my old bucket FV for any future kit brews though.

Has anyone fitted a tap to one of these? The tap mounting position looks very high on the FV. Do you find you lose a lot of liquid, or can you tilt it all out?

Like I said, I turned mine into my bottling bucket. I fitted the tap using the mounting position and tilt it to get as much out. I then pour what's left into a jug and fill the last few bottles from that.

A bit of tilting is required to eek out every last drop. However, the bottom is raised in the centre so the deadspace isn't as much as it appears, yet gives enough room for trub.

The handles are solid.

I have 2 of these and they're excellent.Depends on your forearm as mine just gets through.As regards sealing all you need is a bit of Vaseline on the o-ring.
Airlock bubbles every time 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Just tested the seal on mine with water, and it leaked everywhere. really Didn't want vaseline all over the seal , but sounds like I need to (the sticker on the FV itself even says to use it)..

Off to Asda's we go (self checkout...)

Mine seal fine as they are, but PTFE tape around the thread is a cleaner alternative.

I've been using the 2 handle screw top fermenters from the beginning of my brewing. Been great, only couple of times have i needed Vaseline. Had to grab another from Wilko not long ago, emergency brew day. Lol, they have changed them there to the ones pictured. Not exactly cheap at £18 but the seals on these seem softer and haven't needed to put anything on this one. Slightly narrower and taller too. Neck is same size, and can get arm in to clean the bottom. 👍
2838c6bc9367e3ccabe649b0d583d576.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back