Advice on upgrading fermentation method - pressurised? Temperature controlled? Both? Neither?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When bottle conditioning from a bucket fermenter, I batch prime, stir very gently. leave about 30 mind then bottle directly from the fermenter using a bottling cane attached to a tap placed just above the bottom of the fermenter. I much prefer using a tap to using a syphon.

Thanks for suggestion. Not sure how to make it work, since co2 from current fermenter just escapes through airlock and I don't use co2 canisters. I'm happy to try my planned tweak as it is a minor change. Thanks though.
1) Instead of an airlock on you fermenter, run a tube from where the airlock fits, to the tap on your bottling bucket, and then put a lid and airlock on the bottling bucket. As the beer ferments, CO2 will fill the bottling bucket with CO2 and air will get pushed out of the airlock.

2) When you transfer, run a tube from tap to tap, and one from airlock to airlock.

3) Then bottle by attaching the bottling wand to the bottling bucket tap.

When bottle conditioning from a bucket fermenter, I batch prime, stir very gently. leave about 30 mind then bottle directly from the fermenter using a bottling cane attached to a tap placed just above the bottom of the fermenter. I much prefer using a tap to using a syphon.
You batch prime in the fermenter? And stir? Not too sure, but thanks for the suggestion

Bottle in the crate.
Get a zevro sugar dispenser, to dose the bottles. 1 second per bottle.
Get a party tap. Gas pipe extension, on oversize syphon hose.
20 second fill.
Cap in crate with a rubber mallet.
Easy and quick.
Zevro might just make it into the shopping cart. Looked at ones that you can set for 1/4, 1/2 and 1 teaspoon but it doesn't have a spout. I'd prefer a spout version so you can fit it into the bottle so no need for the funnel. I do find the teaspoon/funnel process a bit fiddly and the sugar always starts to build up at the spout as water vapour condenses on it from the warm, wet bottle.

Thanks for suggestion. Not sure how to make it work, since co2 from current fermenter just escapes through airlock and I don't use co2 canisters. I'm happy to try my planned tweak as it is a minor change. Thanks though.
I won't worry about that, no offence to anyone, but that strikes me as pointless (total load of cobblers was my first thought, but decided not to type that as a response 😁)

Zevro might just make it into the shopping cart. Looked at ones that you can set for 1/4, 1/2 and 1 teaspoon but it doesn't have a spout. I'd prefer a spout version so you can fit it into the bottle so no need for the funnel. I do find the teaspoon/funnel process a bit fiddly and the sugar always starts to build up at the spout as water vapour condenses on it from the warm, wet bottle.

Cane caster sugar makes it soooo good.

The diagram was good. It's explained it well. But once I got my head around it, did seem like a lot of work for... well..... would like to say little gain, but I am not sure they're would be any perceivable gain. Have you tried it?

Yes, in the past. It's common practice within both homebrewing and commercial brewing to purge vessels that fermented beer is transferred to. It's just a way of doing it without a tank of C02. It's the accumulation of little gains that turns good beers into excellent beers.

G-clamp though, I think I have at least two of those but I've never got them to hold firmly enough and end up (like I do when soldering) wishing for a third arm when bottling - One to hold the siphon in the beer just above the trub, one to hold the bottle and one for the dispensing end of the siphon. If your G-clamp works I'd like details athumb.. .
Bottling today - the g-clamp was hilariously useless. The syphon clamped on beautifully - in an empty vessel. But when clamping into my FV full of brew, well the syphon just arced up and levered itself out of the g-clamp! Worse than useless.

Going to try bottling through the FV tap instead next time, as I do like the idea of not racking. I got into the habit of racking because when I started brewing (nearly 50 years ago) it was common advice to 'never bottle from your FV' and I guess I just never thought about it afterwards!

Bottling today - the g-clamp was hilariously useless. The syphon clamped on beautifully - in an empty vessel. But when clamping into my FV full of brew, well the syphon just arced up and levered itself out of the g-clamp! Worse than useless.

Yep, my experience is similar. I think the clamp needs a clamp (or two). I'm bottling tomorrow, might try something, it would be good to get it to work.

This worked. Glad the subject came up athumb..

IMG_5852.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

Latest posts

Back