Advice on upgrading fermentation method - pressurised? Temperature controlled? Both? Neither?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love it! That won't work with my G clamp though, is it doesn't have those flanges. I'm going to just bottle through the tap

I need to remember I have a 3D printer :oops:. I could print one like that easily (would need to do the flap thing differently to make it easier to print). Which has made me think I could print a thing that would push into the top of a Demijohn and hold the tube at an angle so that when you wedge the DJ it would be against the side of the DJ.

Hands down, the best advice I ever got in homebrewing was from the guy at the homebrew shop when I got my first kit.

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/large-bucket-clip.html
(Except mine is red and was cheaper 20 years ago).

The best 99p I have ever spent
This what I just bought. Doesn't work, maybe because my Bielmeier has a sizable lip, I don't know. It clamps beautifully when no liquid in the vessel, but it can't hold it when buoyancy lifts the syphon tube.

This what I just bought. Doesn't work, maybe because my Bielmeier has a sizable lip, I don't know. It clamps beautifully when no liquid in the vessel, but it can't hold it when buoyancy lifts the syphon tube.
I could 3D print you a version of the one I used today if you can get hold of (or already have) those red holding clip things I found in my toolbox. I'd need to know the diameter of the dip tube you have.

I need to remember I have a 3D printer :oops:. I could print one like that easily (would need to do the flap thing differently to make it easier to print). Which has made me think I could print a thing that would push into the top of a Demijohn and hold the tube at an angle so that when you wedge the DJ it would be against the side of the DJ.

Made one...

Similar dimensions to the rubber bung. Made an inset ring so I could stick on an o-ring to hold it securely.

IMG_5854.jpg

View from top showing offset hole.

IMG_5855.jpg

Dip tube pushed through it.
IMG_5856.jpg

How it looks inserted into the Demi.

IMG_5857.jpg

Why haven't I done this before ?:confused.:

I could 3D print you a version of the one I used today if you can get hold of (or already have) those red holding clip things I found in my toolbox. I'd need to know the diameter of the dip tube you have.
That is a very kind offer, thankyou, but I have decided to try bottling via the tap in my FV rather than use a syphon (which I hate cleaning).

2 routes seem to be open. Either temperature controlled fermentation (with heater/cooler), or pressurised fermentation (eg with Brewtools miniuni).
I bought Apollo Unitank 30 L from The Malt Miller a couple of months ago - they strongly recommended me to buy Apollo first and, only if I like the idea of pressure fermentation, then go with Brewtools because Brewtools might be tricky (they did not explain why).
I like Apollo. It has advantage over stainless steel because RAPT Pill sends the signal out, while it does not work when I place Apollo into the fridge for cold crushing. Also, now I start understanding pressure fermentation and probably would simply ferment in a keg with floating dip in the future - ability to take yeast and trub from the bottom seem to me a gimmick, transferring from fermenter to a keg and then removing sedimentation is more convenient

I bought Apollo Unitank 30 L from The Malt Miller a couple of months ago - they strongly recommended me to buy Apollo first and, only if I like the idea of pressure fermentation, then go with Brewtools because Brewtools might be tricky (they did not explain why).
I like Apollo. It has advantage over stainless steel because RAPT Pill sends the signal out, while it does not work when I place Apollo into the fridge for cold crushing. Also, now I start understanding pressure fermentation and probably would simply ferment in a keg with floating dip in the future - ability to take yeast and trub from the bottom seem to me a gimmick, transferring from fermenter to a keg and then removing sedimentation is more convenient
Thanks for this, very helpful. Interesting that MM 'strongly recommended' the Apollo over the Brewtools.
I can't help it but I find PET fermenters very ugly, and although that shouldn't matter, it puts me off.
This thread has been very helpful to me. I've decided not to bother with pressure fermenting at all. I could see it leading to kegs, a fridge, fannying about with c02, pressure transfers and so on. Oh, and having to serve my beer in the shed!

Instead I've decided to focus on simplifying my brewing, rather than complicating it. I can see the appeal of getting that sort of control over the process, and kudos to all the people who do, but it is just not for me.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied! Cheers

By the way, regarding the fridge - I got three for free from Freegle. I have to get rid of at least one because my 19 litre kegs cannot go inside two, but I can use one of them to store bottled beer and temperature control fermentation for wine.
Pressure fermenting is not for any type of beer/ale - I read that it is great for lagers and IPA, maybe not for stout and some hazy ales (I made Muntons hazy IPA and it was good though), I prefer IPA and make lagers for my guests and friends. Overall, I would not say it is complicated, but ability to make ale quickly makes my life easier. And I find transparent fermenter a very cool and a decorative feature that is an interest point my my garage - my guests treat it almost like an aquarium and become mesmerised by slow moving yeast :laugh8: (the picture is how I cold crush beer)
tempImagevMJG3s.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, regarding the fridge - I got three for free from Freegle. I have to get rid of at least one because my 19 litre kegs cannot go inside two, but I can use one of them to store bottled beer and temperature control fermentation for wine.
Pressure fermenting is not for any type of beer/ale - I read that it is great for lagers and IPA, maybe not for stout and some hazy ales (I made Muntons hazy IPA and it was good though), I prefer IPA and make lagers for my guests and friends. Overall, I would not say it is complicated, but ability to make ale quickly makes my life easier. And I find transparent fermenter a very cool and a decorative feature that is an interest point my my garage - my guests treat it almost like an aquarium and become mesmerised by slow moving yeast :laugh8: (the picture is how I cold crush beer)View attachment 91434
Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I know my bias isn't logical. But it is inescapable.

I know fridges are available cheaply/free, but the only place I could put one is in the shed - which is also my cycle workshop and potting shed, and thus is short of space. I suspect that if I had a spacious brewhouse I would go the whole hog.

Perhaps when I said 'complicated' I used the wrong word. Just more stuff to deal with.

If I wanted to brew lager I would seriously consider it, as it isn't really feasible with my setup. I do brew a lot of IPA, but I'm mostly very happy with it.

Must say though I have thoroughly enjoyed mulling it over without spending anything!

Cheers

If you prefer stainless steel and you don't mind spending a bit of money (if I remember rightly you have a G40), these are on sale at the malt miller for this month only. I snatched the bargain up as soon as it appeared - there's 2 left. Worth a look at least.

The best things about them for me is, you can dump the trub from a valve at the bottom, take beer samples from a different section, bottle from it, and you can even get a pressure lid so you can put an open gas line on to let the excess CO2 out. They aren't pressure rated though, but you won't need it with this (you can pressure transfer to your keg at a super low psi level - 1-2).

You don't need to buy a glycol chiller for cooling - I have the cooling pump kit and it just involves a cool box and some ice. Does the same job for a fraction of the price, and gets you more involved in the brew.

Here is what I'm talking about if you're interested.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/pro...fermenter-pro-wifi-controller/?v=79cba1185463

Last edited:
You don't need to buy a glycol chiller for cooling - I have the cooling pump kit and it just involves a cool box and some ice. Does the same job for a fraction of the price, and gets you more involved in the brew.
Would be very interesting to see how you made it, is there a YouTube video how to make something like yours? I want to get rid of some fridges, but want to have something with a good temperature control. Thank you

Thanks for this, very helpful. Interesting that MM 'strongly recommended' the Apollo over the Brewtools.

Different products suit different customers. The Brewtools equipment is awesome however, many of their product are aimed at well practiced brewers rather than beginners. I would rather someone spent less and succeeded to carry out the task required easily. Only then moving on up if required.

Different products suit different customers. The Brewtools equipment is awesome however, many of their product are aimed at well practiced brewers rather than beginners. I would rather someone spent less and succeeded to carry out the task required easily. Only then moving on up if required.
The Malt Millers give good advice all the time. I got another one today when collected my order 👍🏻

Would be very interesting to see how you made it, is there a YouTube video how to make something like yours? I want to get rid of some fridges, but want to have something with a good temperature control. Thank you
220v Pond pump in an ice box. Inkbird controlled. Brilliant. I have used frozen milk cartons as ice packs. 2 in 2 in the freezer. Fermentation twister is a brilliant coil & sensible money.

I didn't make it, I bought it from the malt miller also. Definitely not capable of making stuff like that 😅

It's just a pump I bought from there with the tubes to go on the side of the fermenter, the cool box is my own which I retrieved from the garage 🤣

Last edited:
If you prefer stainless steel and you don't mind spending a bit of money (if I remember rightly you have a G40), these are on sale at the malt miller for this month only. I snatched the bargain up as soon as it appeared - there's 2 left. Worth a look at least.

The best things about them for me is, you can dump the trub from a valve at the bottom, take beer samples from a different section, bottle from it, and you can even get a pressure lid so you can put an open gas line on to let the excess CO2 out. They aren't pressure rated though, but you won't need it with this (you can pressure transfer to your keg at a super low psi level - 1-2).

Here is what I'm talking about if you're interested.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/pro...fermenter-pro-wifi-controller/?v=79cba1185463
Thanks for this, yes I do have a G40, yes this is interesting. Love the ice bucket idea - reminds me that I used to cool my wort down by dumping FV in a large container of cold water (prior to pitching). Simple but effective. Ta

Latest posts

Back