Liquid Crystal Thermometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rui

Reaction score
i have this thermometer at my fv, and shows me tres colors, blue, green and brown!!!at this time i have a brew inside and says to me that the brew has the following temperature:
23ºC blue, 24ºC green and 25ºC brown!! i opened the fv and mesured the temperture from the brew with another thermometer and says 22ºC!!! i have it in a bath which water is at 22ºC using the same thermometer!!!i also have inside of the bath a plastic bottle with 5 liters full of water, and has 22ºC, just to compare..... :wha:
which one is right????
Liquid Crystal Thermometer, which color shows me the temperature????

Please, i need some help

:hat:

Just for a little info, the way they work...

Each temp indicator is a separate liquid crystal element. Liquid crystals change state from either electrical current (think digital watch) or temperature. The ones used in digital watch displays are designed to work over a wide temp range and stay stable and only change from open (clear) to active (black) with electrical current.

The ones used in temperature strips are the opposite, they are designed to switch state at a specific temperature. As to why they go from black to blue to green to brown and back to black I don't know, but green is the "reading" temperature.

You can easily get them to read two or more temperatures. Put an FV that is at 20C into a bath of 14C water and the temp strip (as long as it's below the bath level) will read both 20C and 14C.

As to their accuracy, I'd guess it's about +/- 2*C.

I would have doubts over the stick on thermometers as they are not very accurate. As for your other thermometer it MAY be accurate or not - worth checking its calibration if you can.

As an example my aquarium has 2 digital (electronic) and 1 spirit thermometer in addition to the ATC 800 controller. All the digital ones have a precision of 0.1c but over all thermometers there is a difference of about 3c - they just lack accuracy. The spirit thermometer is the one I trust the best as I checked about 20 of them in the shop and chose one from the batch with the modal (commonest) reading - the whole lot had a range of about 5c. So don't trust precise instruments to be accurate unless they are correctly calibrated.

Dave.

Hey I got a great video on how to read Stick on Thermometers here: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBb2q2GI3pY[/ame]

Back