Wherry - Does the temperature need reducing ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shd

Reaction score
So last night, i finally got my Woodforde's Wherry on the go :D
As i'm brewing in the garage (its cool), i've got a box made of 100mm celotex (sides, top and bottom), and the wife has made a couple of jackets to wrap around the vessel too
I've got an Inkbird thermometer stuck to the side of my bucket in a little pouch, and its showing consistently at 23.5c
The ambient temperature in my box (i've got a thermometer dangling inside !) is showing as 20.2c
On the packaging of the kit, it says to keep between 18-20c
Should i be looking to try to bring the temperature down a little by taking the jackets off, or is that +3 degrees (not the singers !) nowt to worry about ?

My airlock is bubbling nicely btw

TIA

Yes if possible try and keep it in the correct range but you are not a million miles away.
The usual with the yeast is it creates heat when it is fermenting fast so that is why it has gone a little higher than the ambient temp so take away some insulation until it is at 20c approx and when the ferment starts to cool and drop further put it back to try and maintain a constant 20c.
It can go lower it will just take a little longer to ferment out

Thanks @The Baron
Coats removed
I forgot to mention that I have a heat pad underneath/plugged in to the inkbird so I should be able to get it pretty close to 20c and then step it up a few notches towards the end/around 10 or 12 days time

@The Baron
So i've removed the jackets from my vessel and also opened the lid on my celotex box too
The inkbird is showing 22c but the air temperature from the thermometer i have dangling over my bucket is reading 17c

So is this simply that the yeast is generating all the heat and will this settle down do you think ?
I noticed last night, the inkbird was showing 24c with the jackets removed

probably the yeast is generating the extra heat, I am guessing that your inkbird probe is in the beer so you are getting a wort temperature.
Even at 22c it should be ok as it is only slightly above the higher temp

probably the yeast is generating the extra heat, I am guessing that your inkbird probe is in the beer so you are getting a wort temperature.
Even at 22c it should be ok as it is only slightly above the higher temp
thanks for the reply @The Baron
the probe is stuffed in a small cloth pouch that i have taped onto the outside of my vessel

Back