Can our Stout be saved :-(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweedeater

Reaction score
We've brewed a batch of Coopers Irish Stout as per instructions, although it tastes really nice it also has a watery taste. It's currently sat in bottles and I have 2 choices
1. Tip it away and chalk it up to experience
2. Save it by putting it back in fermenter and adding something/re-brewing with extra ingredients.
Can number 2 be done and if so any suggestions welcome

You could add DME or LME or even another kit and some new yeast, but since its a cheap kit I would be inclined to start again and add malt extract or buy a premium kit.

Doing 1 can kits with just sugar is no better than the heavily advertised stuff. I would not throw it nor try to referment it. It makes a good stew if nothing else.

Also a stout plus a non descript beer, lager or cider is usually better than either on its own. Can't explain why, just putting it out there as an empirical rule - seems to work.

Coopers are usually good kits, however I tend to add extra malt (spray malt & dark muscavado sugar) and usually brew them short to 20 litres, they have always turned out good but tend to take a while to mature (I think the hops within the kit need that). Try leaving it a week between opening bottles, and see if it improves.

Thanks for replies, will leave it till Christmas and see what happens. We have done a second brew, a standard coopers stout kit using black treacle and muscavado sugar and it's already yummy (only just finished) :-)

Thanks for replies, will leave it till Christmas and see what happens. We have done a second brew, a standard coopers stout kit using black treacle and muscavado sugar and it's already yummy (only just finished) :-)

Yes indeed, the white can black lid stout is pretty much bomb proof. DME helps it a lot and so does a can of Wiko stout.

Yes indeed, the white can black lid stout is pretty much bomb proof. DME helps it a lot and so does a can of Wiko stout.
Can you post a recipe please? What else do you add to it, and how much water/which yeast? Stocked up on various kits when they were on sale at Tesco and of the three cans of Stout that I bought, I still have two cans left ( One is already fermenting with only BE2, one I am planning to brew using Gash Sluggs recipe (chocolate and vanilla, but will substitute the can of liquid malt with 1.2kg of DME as I already have that in stock), and the third I would be happy to brew using your recipe.Trying to stock up on beer atm, and when I build sufficient stock then I will slow down to brewing 1 batch every 3 or so weeks but now I'am on the fourth batch in a month (with 2 more planned before I slow down)
:drink:
RR

Can you post a recipe please? What else do you add to it, and how much water/which yeast? Stocked up on various kits when they were on sale at Tesco and of the three cans of Stout that I bought, I still have two cans left ( One is already fermenting with only BE2, one I am planning to brew using Gash Sluggs recipe (chocolate and vanilla, but will substitute the can of liquid malt with 1.2kg of DME as I already have that in stock), and the third I would be happy to brew using your recipe.Trying to stock up on beer atm, and when I build sufficient stock then I will slow down to brewing 1 batch every 3 or so weeks but now I'am on the fourth batch in a month (with 2 more planned before I slow down)
:drink:
RR

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17817

There are lots of ideas here! I mean lots.

If you live near a Wilko, the Velvet Stout kit is £7.50 and you add this to the Coopers kit, using the Coopers yeast and 1kg sugar to 27L. You really need the Coopers krausen collar for this. If you only have a 30L FV, you could do an initial brew to 20L and add the rest of the water & sugar in batches after the initial ferment.

Definitely recommend the thread!

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17817

There are lots of ideas here! I mean lots.

If you live near a Wilko, the Velvet Stout kit is £7.50 and you add this to the Coopers kit, using the Coopers yeast and 1kg sugar to 27L. You really need the Coopers krausen collar for this. If you only have a 30L FV, you coul do an initial brew to 20L and add the rest of the water & sugar after the initial ferment.

Definitely recommend the thread!
Cheers :)
Going to wilko tomorrow (got three in 3mile radius) Will get that Velvet Stout and some other bits and bobs while they are still on sale.
I do have the coopers FV with a krausen collar so I can do 27l. no problem
RR
PS. SWHMBO thinks that we are going to wilko to get some paint for sons room and some crockery for her, so I will make sure we visit all three wilkos :grin:

Latest posts

Back