Sterilising swing top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
I read that some have tried "baking" the bottles in the oven to sterilise them. I assume, I have to take the rubber washers off for this and sterilise them in some steriliser, then add them before bottling?

Might be a stupid question but will the rubber withstand boiling?

Also... what am I doing with the tap on the fermenting bin? I was thinking about spraying some sterlising solution on/in it (from the outside).

No Idea whether they'd withstand boiling as I have'nt tried it out on the few swing tops I've got. Just do one to see.

You can spray with starsan to sanitise but I boil mine because it's had to clean. If somethings not clean it doesn't matter if you sanitise it becasue microbes can form a biofilm that can withstand sanitising.

I use alot of grolsh swing top bottles and to be honest don't sanitsise them.
As soon as I have finished pouring I give it a few good rinses,empty then put the top back on tightly. When I come to use it again I rinse It a few times again then use, I have had some of these bottles for years and never had a bad beer out of them (they are pretty much in constant use).
They are never left open apart from rinsing and pouring. I am alot more concerned with my sanitising on normal bottles and fermentation equipment .

Back