Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of interest has anyone tried doing something like this with a fizzy soft drink? I'm thinking specifically of a ginger beer, a lot of folks on here make there own with varying success and i wondered if i take a shop bought one that i like simmer it up to de fizz and knock off any preservatives then follow the same method as with the robinsons do you think it would work?

Just noticed this thread - must have go! (Even if the sun has gone in!). Might seem a daft question but what do you bottle it in? Wine bottles with corks? Screw on plastic bottles?

I plan on putting mine in 2ltr pet's (old lemonade bottles) but i suppose it depends if you want it fizzy or not obviously if you prime it for fizzy then it will have to go in bottles that are deigned to be used under pressure.

as above, if carbonating it needs to be bottled in bottles designed to store carbonated drinks.

be aware that if carbing there will be an amount of sediment.

if you use 2ltr pop bottles then once opened the drink will begin to lose carbonation. Also if pouring out of them, after the first pour the sediment will be disturbed.

For these reasons it seems more sensible to me to bottle them into 500ml coke/fanta etc bottles, which is what I did.

Mine are 2L pop bottles and they keep there fizz same as a soft drink after opening and is still good even after a few days

And there will be zero sediment after ur first rack so you don't need to worry about disturbing sediment with this recipe!

second2none said:
Mine are 2L pop bottles and they keep there fizz same as a soft drink after opening and is still good even after a few days

And there will be zero sediment after ur first rack so you don't need to worry about disturbing sediment with this recipe!

if you carbonate in the bottle, then as a byproduct there is sediment in the sealed bottle.

suprised to hear it keeps its fizz as well as this. might have to try this as it would save space

chojo said:
Well I started out to make a turbo cider but when i looked at the apple juice I'd bought it was the 50% stuff rather than the 100% so I thought right I'll just drink it and get some more later... Then i went in the cupboard and spotted a bottle of apple flavour Robinson's and thought umm I seem to recall recipe for that on the forum! So after reading the recipe I thought I wonder if i could use the 50% aj instead of water? I also noticed that I didn't have enough sugar in so after rooting around I found a bottle of agave syrup and decided what the hell! Threw the lot into a DJ after simmering the cordial and now it's wait and see time. What do you guys think? will it be a disaster, a fruit punch or some kind of hybrid cider?
SG was 1068 and after 24 hrs it has a slight bubble but not much else happening, Fingers crossed.

Well i finally got round to bottling this tonight and after drinking the trial jar i have to say i'm very impressed it's kind of a medium apple wine rather than any kind of cider and drinking it flat it's very good but i've split the batch to carbonate some and see what it's like. I will definitely be making a 5 gallon batch of this after christmas and probably more for the summer. thank god for home brew :cheers:
P.S it came out just over 8%.

In my latest batch (been bottled about 6-7 weeks) a lot of stuff has dropped to the bottom of the bottles. Looks similar to when you add finings to a wow. First I've seen of this, has this happened to anyone before with this drink and know what it is? Doesn't bother me too much just doesn't look very nice in the bottles! Could it be the cold and they are just dropping clear? They were in the garage and it's about 5 degrees at the moment, cheers

mine have all done this, looks a bit like the cordial splitting, im just going to give mine a shake before pouring, as some has seperated to the bottom/ middle and top, with clear liquid between, mines all in the beer fridge in the garage, which is very cold too...

I love the simplicity of this and the ability it provides for large amounts of cheap booze for parties. Nice one, will be having a go soon.

I found the lemon one drops to the bottom of the bottle but tastes nicer
Once that has happened as for any others I have never seen that
Must be the low temperature I keep mine at room temp and move to the fridge for chilling

Either way I hope you enjoyed then

Looks like it is the low temperature then as moto has the same issue, I'll just keep them at room temperature from now on :thumb:

Went down a treat, took a few bottles for others to try and everyone loved it :cheers:

hello, I'm a beginner, so apologies if any of this is silly

I understand the concept of boiling off and thT aluminium pans not a good idea with fruit wines so am I ok with anodised aluminium pans for heating the Robinsons. I don't have anything steel.....Edited to add:found an old steel pot

1. what sizes steel pots you all use and good places to get them. I've looked on ebay but don't really understand fully what makes a pot ok or not..

2. I also would like the brew a wee bit stronger. What amount of sugar have folk been successful with that give as a kick of about 5.5% that's still palatable and how much extra juice or nutrient did you add.

many thanks to original poster. quite excited about this!!
thanks for any help.

Decided to stick to recipe and have put on one tropical, one forest fruits and one peach.

one question...when you say fill to two inches from top....is that two inches down from the top of the demijohn or two inches from bottom of bung?

I may have put in too much yeast in one as prepared double the primer and accidentally puréed a more than half in one demijohn.

Sounds like a good recipe so I've stuck a pink grapefruit one on tonight. Hoping it will sell my homebrew to swmbo and her friends (of course I won't be averse to partaking also!)

Anyone do the pink grapefruit?

:cheers:

Answered my own question. This stuff if a hit with the ladies. Shall be trying the other flavors! :thumb:

I made this last year with pink grapefruit juice, I found that a bottle I saved for just a couple of months had gone off, it smelled really bad and couldn't bring myself to taste it. The rest of the batch though, was lovely! Needed to settle for at least 2 weeks, because there was sediment in the bottom of the glass after a week still, but not bad for a first try!

ive got young's super wine yeast compound will this work as the nutrient and ive got for the yeast connoisseur's choice wine yeast ha1001 shall i not use the wine yeast and just the super stuf?
, will that work oK?

Just done one of these with robinsons tropical but i have used wilkos wine yeast because i dont have any super yeast and for the cost its worth a shot

well bottled this the other day into some cider and beer bottles I had with half a tsp of sugar. Had a bit of a tast test and was impressed and so was the wife so happy days will see in a couple of weeks if it has fizzed up nice :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back