Any advice/ideas for more advanced brews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi dad_of_jon,

Many thanks for your advice. I like hoppy pale and golden ales, e.g. Williams Brothers Joker IPA, Hall & Woodhouse Fursty Ferret, Drygate Gladeye IPA. Any recipes you could share would be fantastic! Many thanks

Hi dad_of_jon,

Many thanks for your advice. I like hoppy pale and golden ales, e.g. Williams Brothers Joker IPA, Hall & Woodhouse Fursty Ferret, Drygate Gladeye IPA. Any recipes you could share would be fantastic! Many thanks

RBG's IPA

**allways clean/sanitize anything that comes into contact with the wort - including you :doh: ***

If using tap water its safer to treat it with a campden tablet or buy cheap bottled water that comes from a spring(eg. tesco value water).

Fermentables:
1.5kg extra light dried malt extract
500g dried wheat extract
500g clear candi sugar
(if in rocks you could break up further with a rolling pin to make it dissolve quicker)
450g Tate & Lyle golden syrup

50g mandarina baveria hops 7.9% aa
(or something similar)
100g simcoe
100g amarillo

1. Boil all fermentables plus mandarina baveria hops in 6 litres of water for 15 mins.

2. Strain wort & hops through fine mesh into fermenting bucket

3. you now have around 8 litres of wort - cos you added 3kg of fermentables to 6 litres of water

4. as you top up with water to 21.5 litres don't add 21 litres - that mistake has been made by others before, check the temperature. you'll need to be at 22 degrees to add the yeast. one or two degrees above or below 22 is fine.

5. Stir the wort like crazy to aerate it I use a plastic paddle with holes in it and give it a hell of a beating.

If you now have 21.5 litres of wort at around 22 degrees you can add the yeast.

6. Add the Mangrove jacks west coast yeast then stir lightly.

7. Stick 50 grams of simcoe & 50 grams of amarillo in a muslin hop bag with sterilised/sanitized marbles in for five days.

8. Ferment as close to 21 degrees as possible -

9. after 5 days Fish bag out of fv with a sanitized implement

10. Then add 50g simcoe and 50g amarillo in a muslin hop bag with sterilised/sanitized marbles on day 9 of fermentation.

11. you can bottle/keg on day 14. decide how you'll package and thus prime your beer.

you'll add about 150/160 grams of brewing sugar for the 21.5 litre batch depending on how fizzy you like your ipa

the OG should be 1.048 ish
the FG will be around 1.005 ish
giving 5.64% approx

tips - you may want to do a dry run with water so boil 8 litres water and top up with room temperature water, if the final temp is too hot the water you top up with needs to be colder

re-hydrated yeast gives better results but is more fiddly. if you want to give that a go mangrove jack's has a proper guide to doing that.

whilst you can buy hops in 100g sizes I buy 2x50g bags to keep them fresher rather than split them for the recipe.

any further questions, clarifications just ask

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I will give it a try and let you know how it goes!
Many thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back