Calypso, Citra and NZ Wakatu??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon04

Reaction score
I have all these hops ready to go.... I had it in mind to use two of them in an IPA, and one in another brew...

Has anyone had experience with these, and/or could suggest how to pair them up please??

I've only used Citra, but have drunk a couple of Wakatu beers, which were very nice. Both hops are excellent late hops. Calypso is described as a high alpha dual purpose hop, so maybe use it for bittering and use one of the others for flavour/aroma? That's the way I would go, but others may have more experience.

Calypso was actually bred as an aroma hop. It is very fruity, with apple blossom and pear. It just happens to have high alpha. 15.6 for crop13.
Regards
Hoppy

Here's where I'm thinking of going with this now.....

I've used up the Wakatu in a single-hop brew to test it out. I'm planning a pale ale based on Calypso, with a flavour addition of Citra.

Then, I should have just enough Citra to have a go at the Oakham Citra clone. Plus, I should have a little Calypso left for emergencies :-)

Dunno but check out jimsbeerkit for Seymour's Citra Gold recipe - many people have made it including myself, it's bloody good. Mine is at least as good as Oakham Citra. I think it's better, but I would.

When I am evaluating a new hop; particularly one that is more suited for flavour/aroma, I tend to use a fairly simple grain bill of 90/10 pale to munich. I then use an English hop that I know well for the bittering addition....usually challenger. The new hop is then added for late additions and steeping.
I find I can get a good feel for the flavour and aroma of the new hop this way.

Latest posts

Back