Hops tips please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJAughton

Reaction score
Hi All, most of my Christmas brewing was successful really pleasing as a newbie.

Went a bit mad on some hops though...

The biggest bonus was my bottle confiti9ning was perfect on the lager, cider and bitter so that was great.

Now planning a go at a Caveza my favourite lager type. I'm not a huge fan of plain kits as I find them quite maulty... if that makes sense.

I'm looking at some light hops that won't impact on the light hold colour or be too pungent..

Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm reading Saaz to be a good lager choice but I'm not sure.

Any tips would be most welcome!!! I want to brew and mature for Easter.

I'm reading Saaz to be a good lager choice but I'm not sure.

Any tips would be most welcome!!! I want to brew and mature for Easter.
Any of the classic European hops are a solid choice for lager - there's a reason they've stuck around for so long.

But be aware that continental Europe had a nightmare of a harvest in 2022 and the traditional varieties were worst hit by the heatwave, both in quantity and quality, and 2023 wasn't great either. So you may find that at the moment, more modern varieties like Hallertauer Tradition may be better quality.

Trad English varieties like Goldings also work in lager...

Any of the classic European hops are a solid choice for lager - there's a reason they've stuck around for so long.

But be aware that continental Europe had a nightmare of a harvest in 2022 and the traditional varieties were worst hit by the heatwave, both in quantity and quality, and 2023 wasn't great either. So you may find that at the moment, more modern varieties like Hallertauer Tradition may be better quality.

Trad English varieties like Goldings also work in lager...
Many thanks and all that replied, I'll look into those suggested planning a brew in Feb.

Really helpful!! Thank you..

Many thanks and all that replied, I'll look into those suggested planning a brew in Feb.

Really helpful!! Thank you..
Thanks all

So, brewday next Friday. I'm making 2 batches of coopers carveza and coopers lager 23ltrs each.

I'm thinking of trying a mix of Saaz and Hersbtucker

A 20g Saaz 40g Hersbrucker for 1 and vice versa for other. Is 60g a good amount? I'll be dry hopping using a hop bag.

Last time I went crazy 100g of amarilo... i loved the flavour but it was pretty potent.

Is 60g adequate? Too much too little?

Back