shorter time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi all
I have a recipe for a bitter which call for a 90min mash time
and 90min boil time can I reduce this to 60 min each
there is no reason for me to do this just the time it takes to do a brew

I usually do 90 minutes of each but occasionally cut it down to 60. Can't see it's ever made any difference, just reduced the amount of sitting in a comfy chair drinking a beer time...

I usually do 90 minutes of each but occasionally cut it down to 60. Can't see it's ever made any difference, just reduced the amount of sitting in a comfy chair drinking a beer time...

thanks that what I was also thinking but I will still have time for a beer or two:grin:

afaik a 90 minutes is a period that most grains should a) convert in the mash and b) achieve hot break in the kettle. so mashing for 90mins and boiling for 90 mins should ensure success with any brew.

If using modern well modified grains as most of us do 60 minute mash and boil durations will probably be fine.

if boiling for a shorter duration remember to adjust your preboil volume to reflect the smaller loss to boil off

while there is no test beyond looking to see hot break that im aware of you can always use an iodine test to ensure the mash is complete before you sparge.

afaik a 90 minutes is a period that most grains should a) convert in the mash and b) achieve hot break in the kettle. so mashing for 90mins and boiling for 90 mins should ensure success with any brew.

If using modern well modified grains as most of us do 60 minute mash and boil durations will probably be fine.

if boiling for a shorter duration remember to adjust your preboil volume to reflect the smaller loss to boil off

while there is no test beyond looking to see hot break that im aware of you can always use an iodine test to ensure the mash is complete before you sparge.

After 20 odd brews I still don't think I've ever seen a hot break.

Its not easy to spot which is why i rushed for the camera when this ocoured within a once transparent dme solution mix simmering pre slant making.

some US brewers refer to the initial foam up of a boil as a hot break
14443567356_e8cf0af6c4.jpg

Latest posts

Back