Back in the saddle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After an 8 month hiatus in my brewing (no specific reason, just failed to make the time), I’ve put a massive order in with THBC and taken advantage of their 25% off offer.

I’ve ordered an American amber ale mash kit, a sack of crushed pale malt, a selection of crystal & roasted malts and some different hops.

Combined with the hops I’ve got in my freezer and the sachets of CML yeast in my fridge this should see me through a fair few brews.

I’ve ordered 100g each of Jester & Olicana as I’ve wanted to try these for a while, if anyone’s got any good recipes they’ve brewed I’d be grateful for a recommendation 👍🏻

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a brew on this weekend if my order arrives in time.

Last edited:
My order hasn’t arrived, and I’ve been really looking forward to getting a brew on tomorrow.

I’ve got half a sack of Crisp ale malt that’s been opened nearly a year, a load of mixed hops in freezer and a selection of CML yeast sachets in the fridge.

The malt has been stored in the sack with the top rolled down, but it smells okay and tastes fine, so I am interested in whether or not this can still make a nice beer. The plan is a SMASH beer with El Dorado (I’ve got no other grains!).

Best case is that it will be a decent beer, worst case it goes down the drain- but the malt was going in the bin anyway and the time isn’t an issue as I am looking forward to a brew day. Therefore I have nothing to lose by trying this.

Recipe is:

23L batch, with approx 70%BHE:
1.048 OG
1.009 FG
5.1%ABV
29IBU

5kg Crisp ale mashed for 1h @65C

30min boil:
12g El Dorado @30m
20g El Dorado @5m
30g El Dorado hop stand

50g El Dorado dry hop.

Ferment with Atlantic @19C

It may be nice, it may be be terrible. I’ll find out in a couple of weeks

That will be nice. I would have used 4kg, not 5 as this is a smash. I have found it gives a better hop expression. El Dorado is a bit fruity.

Never used Atlantic

I think you will be pleased.

Mash and sparge done.

Just coming up to the boil now.

Pre boil gravity is bang on prediction, although volume is about 1l short.
IMG_8738.jpeg

Edit:
1.048 should have been post boil gravity not pre boil. I’ve fixed it with the last runnings from the malt pipe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back