Milestone Crusader

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum

Landlord.
Reaction score
I didn't make any good notes about my brew but as I recall it all went as per the instructions. The final gravity was 0.002 higher than it should have been. I had it in the fermenter for 2 weeks and then racked to a secondary to bottle and batch primed.

I found it a bit bland. I was expecting it to be a bit like Leffe. It's easy to drink and there's nothing bad about it but it doesn't have much of a kick or any distinct flavours to it. You could probably drink a lot of it quite quickly. It had a decent head on it and enough fizz.

It was only my second brew so I may have done something wrong.

I didn't know about Brewferm kits so I'm doing some of those to get my Belgian fix.

I tried this one and found it to be the best one so far although iv'e only done about half a dozen. It had a really good head and the condition was good and it tasted great,-more like a strong lager without the "homebrew tang". Just started another one yesterday. Cant think why your's tasted bland except I used spraymalt instead of sugar for priming.

I like a really strong beer so maybe that's why. I was expecting something very robust.

Don't get me wrong it's still a fairly nice pint and it has definitely improved with age but the brew before, which was St Peter's IPA had a hell of a lot more flavour.

Is yours anything like Leffe? I bought it because a few people on forums said it was similar.

Hopefully these Brewferm ones will turn out a bit more to my taste.

Brewferm Grand Cru is supposed to be very similar to Leffe Blonde, with a similar ABV - but I haven't tried it yet, it will probably be my first brew of the new year. Mind you I had heard similar claims about Milestone Crusader being similar to Leffe but from what I saw about it the ABV is 4.5% or something so doesn't sound as robust.

Have done a few Brewferm kits and they have all been fantastic so will probably double up and brew a 38 litre batch of Grand Cru instead of trying this one!

Maybe it needs to be brewed a little shorter to become leffe like?

Antony said:
Maybe it needs to be brewed a little shorter to become leffe like?

You'd have to brew it very very short to get that kind of flavour and even then I'm not sure it'd work.

It's very smooth tasting rather than having the kind of oomph a lot of Belgian beers have. It's nice and easy to drink and I'm sure a lot of people will like it but it's not what I was after when I bought it.

I bottled this 5 days ago and it's tasting amazing already. Even after a few days fermenting it tasted good, and I noticed it was very fizzy all through fermentation and during bottling. I was a little bit concerned about potential bottle bombs so I was a bit modest when it came to priming. Also after bottling I found some old info on the milestone kits that say that the last few degrees ferment slowly and to leave it for a full 10 days even if your hydrometer readings seem static over a few days. I didn't wait that long but carbonation seems about right.

I'd happily buy this again but it's a two can kit and as I bought 25kg of brewing sugar during my last order I'm trying to stick to kits that need sugar :)

I bottled this 5 days ago and it's tasting amazing already. Even after a few days fermenting it tasted good, and I noticed it was very fizzy all through fermentation and during bottling. I was a little bit concerned about potential bottle bombs so I was a bit modest when it came to priming. Also after bottling I found some old info on the milestone kits that say that the last few degrees ferment slowly and to leave it for a full 10 days even if your hydrometer readings seem static over a few days. I didn't wait that long but carbonation seems about right.

I'd happily buy this again but it's a two can kit and as I bought 25kg of brewing sugar during my last order I'm trying to stick to kits that need sugar :)

Have you been drinking?

Latest posts

Back