Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening,

Thought I'd try this out for my first brew out of a demijon however used Wilko's standard wine yeast and I used 475g of brewing sugar just to up the percentage of the brew.

There was no airlock action for about 36hrs then there were bubbles every seven seconds or so for about 2 days. There seems to be zero airlock action now so just wanted to check if this seems normal with those who have done this before.

Thanks in advance

did you use a starter 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and yeast in a small glass of water? I did and the air lock bubbles were almost instant (around 10 min). Then continued to ferment, fast at first around a bubble a second but slowed after a couple of days to around a bubble every 3-5 seconds for around 10-14 days not sure exactly as I did not make a note of when I started.

Yeah followed the guidelines apart from what I changed as explained in my initial post. I'm going to take a reading tomorrow and see where the fermentation's at, it seems like everything has settled so may be ready for bottling.

I'm new to all this myself and the Robinsons squash was only my second brew and like you I used wilko wine yeast so it's probably fine :)

Fingers crossed! This is my first brew in a demijon so I'm probably over-worrying :hmm:

Went to bottle today and may have hit a bit of a stumbling block! Took the cap off the DJ (used a plastic DJ) and got a smack in the face off rotten eggs!

This smell wasn't evident when it was fermenting and it tasted exactly as it smelt. After panic browsing this forum I've racked into a secondary DJ to see if that helps. The brew itself looks fine, no dodgy looking scum or anything. Do you think the brew has been infected or do I need a bit more patience? I'm panicking because this is my first brew in a DJ.

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone help with this??

I think the room I kept the DJ in was slightly on the warmer side of things however don't know the exact temp as it turns out I had a bust thermometer! I've read that when yeast are working in warmer conditions they can produce the eggy smell/taste that I've described above, will this go in time or do you think the brew needs dumping?

Thanks in advance

Hi im new to home brewing and wondered is it the youngs super wine yeast compound that is used in this recipe ?

Can anyone advise what I should put the siphoned drink into after ive added the sugar and boiling water? What do people bottle these things into?

Can anyone advise what I should put the siphoned drink into after ive added the sugar and boiling water? What do people bottle these things into?

I use empty plastic coke bottles etc (1.5ltr) as they hold the fizz perfectly

Oh great that's easy then thanks penguinarmy. Yourself and chippy tea have been really helpful on my journey so far. Ive got 3 djs of plum wine that I re racked yesterday as it got to 0.998. I now have 4 robinsons alcohooch going and yesterday did a no added sugar vimto but didn't fill the dj up as much as I messed up doing that on the first few. Ive got it on a heatmat and it is looking beautiful 24 hours in.

I know that conventional wisdom says boil the Robinsons to neutralise the preservatives, but I just wondered if anyone had tried this without boiling the juice?

The only reason I ask is that I have 4 on the go currently Apple & Pear / Strawberry & Kiwi / Summer Fruits / Tropical and after simmering, the Apple & Pear had pretty much no aroma at all.

FatCol

I know that conventional wisdom says boil the Robinsons to neutralise the preservatives, but I just wondered if anyone had tried this without boiling the juice?

I made a Ribena wine when i first started wine making, i boiled it as per instructions and it took weeks to get down to 1020 as i did not have many DJ's at the time i ended up binning it and started a WOW.

I am not convinced boiling actually gets rid of the preservative.

ive had a lemon (tescos own dble concentrate) one on the go for about a week now and it doesn't seam to be starting, i have re added nutrient to it and put it in a hot bath but to no joy, and ideas????

thank you
:hat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back