First brew on the go

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK

Reaction score
Afternoon brewing enthusiasts!

At this very moment i have my wart cooling down in the fermenter and have popped onto the internet to ask you guys a couple of questions if i may.

I went out this morning to buy a new fermentation barrel and airlock as the one provided with my kit did not have a airlock and i'd prefer to use one. So i brought the Young'd U Brew Fermentation Barrel and the Young's U Brew handy airlock..

Fermentation Barrel

Airlock

The problem with the airlock is that is has no holes in the top which i would have thought would be required to release the CO2, I'd have expected to pour in some water then placing the lid over the top pushing the cover over the tube poking up in the middle. Then as CO2 is released it comes through the tube down through the water and out the top escaping from the holes in the top?

All i can think is that the lid is not meant to be pushed on tight, so it can rise up to release the CO2.. but as its all connected into two parts surely and force would blow the lid off if its not attached?

Also a quick question.. what temperature should i wait for before taking my starting gravimetric reading?

I think you are right in that the top part of the airlock doesn't need to be on too tight.

On your hydrometer it should tell you what temperature it is calibrated at - mine is 20C that is the temperature your wort should be to get an accurate hydrometer reading but it is close enough if the temperature is within a couple or so degrees of that (if you want it more accurate there is a calculator http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/calculators.php#HYDROMETER_CORRECTION).

sonicfishcake said:
I think you are right in that the top part of the airlock doesn't need to be on too tight.

Seems the most reasonable solution, not very practical I'd imagine if fermentation takes on rapid speed... Might have to use this for now then look for one of those double chamber airlocks. Thanks...

sonicfishcake said:
On your hydrometer it should tell you what temperature it is calibrated at - mine is 20C that is the temperature your wort should be to get an accurate hydrometer reading but it is close enough if the temperature is within a couple or so degrees of that (if you want it more accurate there is a calculator http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/calculators.php#HYDROMETER_CORRECTION).

Thought so, I'll take the gravimetric reading once its cooled.. cheers.

I think my first mistake of my first brew is completely under estimating how long it's going to take for my wart to cool! It's still around 55 degrees C...

Long wait for me until I can add the yeast!

Jak you just put a little water in the lock and the CO2 lifts the upper part and then bubbles out dropping the part again, it can happen every few seconds with a fast fermentation. Do not push the lid on tightly or this won't happen nor fill the trap to the brim. I put in enough water to just go above the edge of the lid bit when assembled.

jak what did you brew? If your wort is still hot and you have another FV or large bucket pour it between the two loads of times - this will cool your wort quicker and areate it ready for pitching your yeast, or stir it as much as possible if you only have one large FV :thumb:

I use dozens of those tubular airlocks, chamber needs to be around one-third full and you do push the top on all the way.

Look very carefully inside the top section and you will see three little ridges. The gap is only a fraction of a millimetre, but plenty big enough for CO2 to escape.

prolix said:
Jak you just put a little water in the lock and the CO2 lifts the upper part and then bubbles out dropping the part again, it can happen every few seconds with a fast fermentation. Do not push the lid on tightly or this won't happen nor fill the trap to the brim. I put in enough water to just go above the edge of the lid bit when assembled.

Exactly what I've done.. seems to be working fine now but i think I'll invest in a better airlock in the future..

rickthebrew said:
jak what did you brew? If your wort is still hot and you have another FV or large bucket pour it between the two loads of times - this will cool your wort quicker and areate it ready for pitching your yeast, or stir it as much as possible if you only have one large FV :thumb:

The milestone starter kit mate, 22.5litres of Lions Pride.

Got a gravimetric reading of 1.20 at 29 degrees C, which is will result is a weak beer but not too far of what Lions Pride is meant to be ?

Wish I had checked out your idea sooner, I ended up trying to cool down my wort in the bath!

I'll definitely be doing that next time, also adding less hot water!

Jak your gravity reading is far too low, Give everything a good stir, It sounds like your sugars have sunk, once stirred it should read higher.

muddydisco said:
Jak your gravity reading is far too low, Give everything a good stir, It sounds like your sugars have sunk, once stirred it should read higher.

I already added my yeast last night.. Is it OK to open it up and give it a stir now ?

muddydisco said:
No harm just make sure your paddle is sterilised :thumb:

Done... smells bloody lovely!

My gravimetric reading is now lower.. around 1.150

Have I been a bit stupid here? I did not add any sugar at any point, the starter kit did not contain any and did not mention it?

1.150 Is bloody Strong!!! I think you need to get your head around reading the Hydrometer first

try here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3326

Then You should be getting a good reading something like 1.040?

When mixing up kits some people haven't stirred enough and the sugars that are within the kit sink to the bottom, there is no need to add sugar to a milestones kit :thumb:

muddydisco said:
1.150 Is bloody Strong!!! I think you need to get your head around reading the Hydrometer first

try here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3326

Then You should be getting a good reading something like 1.040?

When mixing up kits some people haven't stirred enough and the sugars that are within the kit sink to the bottom, there is no need to add sugar to a milestones kit :thumb:

Sorry 1.015, typo..

I've gave it a good stir..

I think your first reading must of been out, but now your already looking like fermenation has got well underway so hence the lower reading.

Silly question did you check the hydrometer in some water it should read around 1.000

muddydisco said:
I think your first reading must of been out, but now your already looking like fermenation has got well underway so hence the lower reading.

Silly question did you check the hydrometer in some water it should read around 1.000

Yeah, even went so far as to check it in water with dissolved sugar to "calibrate it"... I work in a lab so I needed to put my mind at rest after such a low starting reading!

I thought with Lion pride at 3.4% (ish?) this low reading was normal?

Moley said:
I use dozens of those tubular airlocks, chamber needs to be around one-third full and you do push the top on all the way.

Look very carefully inside the top section and you will see three little ridges. The gap is only a fraction of a millimetre, but plenty big enough for CO2 to escape.

Spot on Moley, only just noticed your post.

Bubbling away nicely now.. I'll get there eventually :rofl:

After stirring last night fermentation really started to get going, we noticed a couple of bubbles every second on the airlock last night. This morning however it really has subsided, once every few seconds now. I'm slightly concerned above the temperature, being warm here the last few weeks the ambient temperature of the cupboard I'm brewing in is around 23 degrees celsius I'm thinking this will make the yeasts work harder and therefore Finnish their job faster?

I'm not expecting a high abv beer so will the lack of fermentables and the high temperature equal a shorter fermentation than expected? Obvious this early is too early to think about the next stage, but what kinda time frame should I now be expecting with my shorter fermentation?

I know I sound like a new dad worried about his baby's first few nights sleep! :rofl:

If it is going good you could see it done it 3 days or less, either way I always leave mine at least a week in the fermentor to tidy up and clear up.

muddydisco said:
If it is going good you could see it done it 3 days or less, either way I always leave mine at least a week in the fermentor to tidy up and clear up.

Opened it up to take a gravitation reading, little to no foam on the top now. Very little airlock ativity now, once every five or so seconds. Got 1.010 but the beer is still very cloudy, Im guessing this is the yeast that will now settle over the next few days?

Had a little taste, very very watery and not very nice lol, hoping the flavours now start to mature?

Back