Anyone done a challenger single hopped ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich27500

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm not going for a smash, I want a touch of crystal, I'm planning to use S05. I thought about 20g at 60 and the 40g at 15 and 40g at flameout. I wondering if anyone ha thoughts on this?

I haven't used it in this way but I found it a bit disappointing for late or dry additions.
For bittering I love it though.

anthonyUK said:
I haven't used it in this way but I found it a bit disappointing for late or dry additions.
For bittering I love it though.
I agree :thumb: Great bittering hop but unless they're really, really fresh they're not the best for late aroma...
When I use them as a single hop it'd be for a dark & bitter northern type ale @ around 45-50 IBU's

BB

Im young in my brew days but so far i only use challenger*. I drop equal measures (relative to volume) at t-20 and t-10.

* when i started, the shop guy told me it was the best all rounder. Was he right or wrong? i have no idea but apart from one batch that tasted like a municipal swimming pool (ott on the bleach when cleaning) everything else has come out lovely (well, aprart from another batch that turnes grey/green bit i poured that one down the sink).

Best for me!!
With regards the chemical taste i was wondering if you treat your water to remove chlorine?

BB

Bittering hops are cheap compared to flavour/aroma ones generally so although it may be an extra expense to start, it is only a couple of quid and they'll last longer using both.

Sorry i dont want to hijack this thread...

BarnsleyBrewer said:
With regards the chemical taste i was wondering if you treat your water to remove chlorine?

BB

The tap water here is a dream, the taste was a result of me being a noob and going OTT with the bleach during cleaning and i guess not rinsing . A good reason for any more like me to read and pay attention to the Cleaners and Sanitizes sticky in beer brewing discussions!

However i left the offending batch in the back of the cupboard to see what would happen. 3 weeks more down the line and the taste has pretty much gone (or my tastebuds have died)... Do chlorophenols disappear/loose their taste?

Latest posts

Back