43 Pint bottles just poured down the drain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwiseman77

Landlord.
Reaction score
fffff_zps53c404dd.jpg

My first infected brew....how heartbreaking :( :( :(

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Better get another brew on with your new delivery to make up for it :thumb:

i know the pain , i used infected yeast on a brew about 3 months ago , had to chuck the lot :sick: i feel for you .

I have another 3 I brewed in the weeks after it so I'll survive. Not entirely sure what's wrong with it but incredibly sharp, vinegary, apple juice kinda taste. I assume some kind of lacto-infection. Reminds me of a lambic i tried but definitely not in a good way. :sick:

I know your pain, i had 4 on the bounce quite recently i think it was down to a heavily scratched fv that obviously wasnt clean enough. Sounds like youve got plenty to keep you going though

One of the brews I done after is slightly too sweet, tart perhaps but think it is just a bit young and hopefully will get better. The most recent one I done, an APA is delicious though, so at least I know its not my FV and must have been the process. Its weird it smelled & tasted alright at bottling but after 2 months in the bottle its rank. Maybe my little bottler or caps weren't sanitised properly.

You'll brew another one. Maybe even better than this.

My main source of infections seems to be greed, I wanted to save on yeast at all cost. I reuse yeast on day to day basis and sometimes the slurry just smells "not good". I'm never sure the bad smell is from infection or from longer period in fridge. Now I'm dumping such yeast, but I learned this hard way.

Yep, I've lost a couple of batches due to trying to cut costs (**** steriliser, in my case). Just repeat the recipe and you'll be fine with a bit of care. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back