How do i bottle? Newbie....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartmarler

From Sunny Worthing. New Brewer.
Reaction score
I have two brews on the go.

In a plastic keg, a MYO American IPA, fermented for 2 weeks, then straight into a plastic keg with priming sugar. Got 3 days of the 2 weeks of 2nd fermentation to go.... 40 pints, can I bottle this, if so how is best to do it.
I have a wand and bottles.

2. 3 days left of a John Bull Indian Pale Ale, in a pressure fermenter.
It has a floating ball, so I can pour from it without the sediment coming out.
Can I bottle from this, if so, how best to please?

Basically, I want to store some for drinking options later and see if they improve with age.

I brew in brewing buckets, usually 23 litre batches. I use one bucket as my fermentation vessel and brew my beer in this for a minimum of 2 weeks. I then bottle my beer using the second fermentation bucket as a bottling bucket. I have taps fitted to both buckets. On bottling day I lift the fermenter with the beer in it up onto a table. I sanitise the second bucket and stirring paddle, hose, bottling wand etc using a no rinse sanitizer. I boil the kettle and weight out 120g of brewing sugar and add this to a pot, I then measure out 400ml of hot water from the kettle and pour it in to dissolve the sugar. I give it a quick stir and then pour it into the bottling bucket. I then get the bottling bucket and place it under the beer, I attach a hose to the tap of the fermenter and place it into the bottom of the bottling bucket. I then open the tap and the beer flows across with no splashing. As the beer gets to the bottom of the bucket I tilt it and just before sediment starts to flow into the tap I close it. I give the beer in the bottling bucket a gentle stir to make sure the sugar is even and lift this bottling bucket up onto the table. I connect the bottling wand and bottle away. I bottle all my batches. Good luck.

I brew in brewing buckets, usually 23 litre batches. I use one bucket as my fermentation vessel and brew my beer in this for a minimum of 2 weeks. I then bottle my beer using the second fermentation bucket as a bottling bucket. I have taps fitted to both buckets. On bottling day I lift the fermenter with the beer in it up onto a table. I sanitise the second bucket and stirring paddle, hose, bottling wand etc using a no rinse sanitizer. I boil the kettle and weight out 120g of brewing sugar and add this to a pot, I then measure out 400ml of hot water from the kettle and pour it in to dissolve the sugar. I give it a quick stir and then pour it into the bottling bucket. I then get the bottling bucket and place it under the beer, I attach a hose to the tap of the fermenter and place it into the bottom of the bottling bucket. I then open the tap and the beer flows across with no splashing. As the beer gets to the bottom of the bucket I tilt it and just before sediment starts to flow into the tap I close it. I give the beer in the bottling bucket a gentle stir to make sure the sugar is even and lift this bottling bucket up onto the table. I connect the bottling wand and bottle away. I bottle all my batches. Good luck.
Wow. Brilliant reply. Thank you.

Would there be any issues if trying to bottle from the pressurised fermenter or the keg that has had 2nd fermentation?

Wow. Brilliant reply. Thank you.

Would there be any issues if trying to bottle from the pressurised fermenter or the keg that has had 2nd fermentation?
Hi, honestly I don’t know. Perhaps leave this brew in the pressure barrel for this batch and consume. Next time bottle and try doing secondary fermentation in the bottle.
If you do bottle from this batch leave the bottles in a warm place for a couple of weeks. Then leave them somewhere cold for another 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back