Adding yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1gBill

Reaction score
Have a bottled imperial stout been bottled since begining of April so only looking at 6 months I know is young
Tried a bottle and it is really sweet and no gas
Am assuming yeast has run out of steam I did have a bit of a stall in the fermentation process but managed to get it going again
But looks like the yeast can't cope
I have some yeast that is good for 14%
If I OEN each bottle and add a inch to each
Do you think this will ferment out the remaining sugars
Cheers for any help

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Have a bottled imperial stout been bottled since begining of April so only looking at 6 months I know is young
Tried a bottle and it is really sweet and no gas
Am assuming yeast has run out of steam I did have a bit of a stall in the fermentation process but managed to get it going again
But looks like the yeast can't cope
I have some yeast that is good for 14%
If I OEN each bottle and add a inch to each
Do you think this will ferment out the remaining sugars
Cheers for any help

It is possible that the yeast you originally used gave up entirely due to the high alcohol content and that is the reason its sweet and not carbed up. If you consider your brew to be undrinkable at present you have nothing to lose by trying to get it going again. However I would tip it into a FV and do it that way rather than fiddling about with individual bottles, especially since you have got to open them anyway.
The other idea is to blend your beer as it is with sparkling cider or bitter and drink it as poor man's black velvet or black and tan.

It is possible that the yeast you originally used gave up entirely due to the high alcohol content and that is the reason its sweet and not carbed up. If you consider your brew to be undrinkable at present you have nothing to lose by trying to get it going again. However I would tip it into a FV and do it that way rather than fiddling about with individual bottles, especially since you have got to open them anyway.
The other idea is to blend your beer as it is with sparkling cider or bitter and drink it as poor man's black velvet or black and tan.

I'm not sure I would be pouring everything back into a bucket. Even doing so carefully will introduce a significant amount of oxygen. I think it would be fairly straightforward to fashion some sort of mini funnel from tinfoil and add the yeast to each bottle.

I'm not sure I would be pouring everything back into a bucket. Even doing so carefully will introduce a significant amount of oxygen. I think it would be fairly straightforward to fashion some sort of mini funnel from tinfoil and add the yeast to each bottle.
Well its either risk a bit of O2 (can't agree on 'significant') by pouring into the FV, or try to introduce small quantities of yeast into each bottle, which will probably cause different levels of fermentation per bottle, perhaps more yeast than you would want in the bottom of the bottles, and who knows what differing levels of carbing in each bottle. But the choice is there. :thumb:

Cheers for the replies
I had considered pouring them in a bucket but
As stated about the introduction of oxygen thought the bottle method may be best
Was wondering if any one else had the same issue and what method they had tried

Latest posts

Back