Imperial Stout Yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the ingredients for the CML Black Ops imperial stout ready to give my KegThat mash tun a run out. This has come with a sachet of “Four” yeast.

My plan is to brew a beer and use the whole or most of the yeast cake for the imperial stout.

I have two options for the “starter” beer:

1. A pale ale, 4-5%, using ingredients I have in.
2. CML oatmeal stout kit (6%).

Yeast I have:
1. A sachet of “four” that come with the imp stout
2. Two sachets of “Beior” that come with the oatmeal stout.
3. A sachet of “Atlantic” from CML

Each of the above yeasts have a tolerance of 9%ABV, and the black ops recipe says it’s 9.25%, so I may be better with a different yeast entirely?

I’m not a fan of Kveik so rather not go that way.

I’d be grateful for thoughts on the best way to go. Im thinking the stout and Beior would be a good way to go, but is a 6% starter beer and then a 9-10% imp stout asking a bit much?

My strongest beer to date has been 6.6% so I’ve no experience of brewing an imp stout.

Last edited:
Useful yeasts for big stouts are WLP540 and BE-256 which are British in origin but have adapted to higher ABVs, depends if you want highish attenuation and a chunk of yeast character.

+1 on using one of the Rochefort strains.
I've done two RISs, one with WY1762 (Wlp540/BE256) and one during the limitations of lockdown using MJ M42 New World Strong Ale. The esters from WY1762 made for a better beer.

Even later still, results of cml5 on an imperial stout I kegged last week.
1691963722263.png

Latest posts

Back