AG#1 Fullers ESB Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1970

Landlord.
Reaction score
So far...

Aiming for 23 litres
Grains
Maris Otter 5.6kg 85.5%
Crystal Malt 0.6 kg 9.16%
Wheat Malt 0.35 kg 5.34%
Hops
90 mins
Challenger 9g
Northdown 9g
Target 15g
10 Mins
EKG 12 g

Am currently relaxing while mashing takes place, photos so far

Grains
5deba286-9327-43c6-aa72-8b57b46077d1.jpg

Into the mash tun, got it to 67 degrees after a bit of adjusting
d378c6bc-3203-4a7c-af5a-6ef5a968601d.jpg

Hops, weighed out & labelled by my assistant
82a7c793-b5a8-4318-a82d-a757dc92d4f1.jpg

And a bit of boiled dme added to yeast harvested from Bengal Lancer
48b679c9-15e7-4197-9464-67c72a16a966.jpg

Brewmate says 1063 OG, as for FG hard to be sure, Brewmate says 1016 giving 6.2% abv, but I have no idea what the attenuation on the Bengal Lancer yeast will be.

forgot to take pic of the first runnings but

Main run off from mash tun
b4f427c3-7183-4eaf-ba51-3b3ab6644c53.jpg

Sparging
67410683-7500-4943-9f92-890b12dbbd3d.jpg

Nice rolling boil on the Buffalo Boiler...that's a relief
0c0b9aa3-3f98-4dc6-b36d-a7810a19bfa6.jpg

Chilled and just about to transfer to FV
29c8ed8e-fa13-4041-bef4-f71263356ab6.jpg

I seemed to get a nice cold break, with nice clear wort but quite a lot of this break material seemed to make it through to the FV. Im guessing I need smaller holes on the hop filter, maybe wrap some SS gauze around it? Is this going to leave me with a hard to clear beer or will it settle in the FV?

Overall
Ended up with 21 litres at 1062, that includes topping up a litre of water from the kettle during the boil. I think I stopped sparging too early because I had bigger evaporation losses than expected. I stopped at 27 litres, gravity was still plenty high enough at that point. Will sparge to 30 litres next time. The whole brewday started at 10.00 and I was completely packed away by 4.00. The wort seems to have cleared reasonably well in the FV so I guess that cold break material must've dropped. Wort tastes good, much more complex than kit wort which hopefully bodes well for the beer.

My house bitter is Fullers esb made northern with wheat malt :lol: :lol:

It is a really good beer. I make mine to about 5.5% using Nottingham yeast which gives a very slight fruity note to it. Pleanty of complex malt flavours to and of course the EKG shines. The flavour develops over time, I had a bottle the other week which was a year old and by far the best beer I had tasted in long time. :thumb:

You will not be disapointed with this beer. i am brewing it on thursday.

:cheers:

I was always planning to do ESB as AG#1 but you're responsible for the inclusion of a bit of wheat in mine , so thank you :thumb:
Not sure I'll be managing to leave it a year, maybe once I've built up a bit more stock. How long does it need before it's ready to drink? I get the impression from other posts on here that AG brews are a bit quicker to mature than kits.
Should I be concerned about the lack of cold break material in the boiler?

It will need about a month in the bottle for conditioning. but it may take longer with the high og. as a general rule it needs 1 week for each 10 points of og.

Well done on the first AG!

Don't worry about it not being too clear yet.

My first AG (a month ago) was clear a week after bottling. Much clearer than any kit I've ever done.

I was drinking it after 2 weeks as well and it was fantastic.

However I had my 3rd to last bottle of it Saturday and it was unrecognisable from the 2 week old one.

SO much better.

Leave it a month if you can (I can't)

Sounds very uneventful.... which is impressive for a 1st AG brew - Well done !! :thumb:

May have to take a crack at this sometime, sounds good !

I can't wait till thursday as I am brewing it agian hope fully it will be ready for my birthday in feb. I am drinking its rather poor sibling at the moment. I had a problem mashing with the last lot and I still have 80 bottles of a rather poor session version. However I have one bottle I will be drinking on Christmas eve along with a few bottles of the barley wine.

WOW Dave you really got tooled up before setting out on your journey to the darkside. I think you'll be very surprised how are brewing styles differ. My style is all about the bag and I stay as far from software as I can get away with. You might want to check out the art v science debate on http://www.mashspargeboil.com/

Looking forward to how this turns out and even more to our easter swapsies. Don't forget the mantra of Ian at Copper Kettle: "you can't make a bad all grain beer!" Even I struggle to disprove that!!!

just to revive this thread, couldn't wait 4 weeks so tried one today
I can tell it's going to improve with time but it tastes remarkably like...Fullers ESB! It probably shouldn't surprise me but it does, I expected decent beer but not the clone to be so close
temp90e7ba28-5af8-4d94-9f7f-6747ce2c58b3.jpg

It also gets better with time. Tonight I have having the last bottle from the brew I did last december, so it is a year old and will be well worth the wait. Just a pity I drunk all here sisters. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back