Nelson Sauvin for bittering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a load of Nelson in the freezer and am planning some recipes, but wondered what it was like as a buttering hop? It is rumoured to be a bit rough, but recipes like Full Nelson use it as a single hop throughout.

Any anecdotes, suggestions or warnings?!

I've only used them late, and very nice to.

This is the recipe for Thornbridge Kipling posted on Jim's by their brewer, for 23L

85% Pale malt
7.5% Munich I
7.5% Torrified wheat

23g NS 12.3% AA 60mins
16g NS 12.3% AA 30mins
75g NS 12.3% AA 0mins, 20 minute steep

High alpha would probably mean that at a low bitterness, it wouldn't be too dirty, not enough to ruin a beer anyway. I say do it. What does everybody else know about your taste buds anyway? :p

I used it as a single hop. I'm not a fan of the bitterness, but I would suggest using it as a late hop addition. By late I mean really late.

Cheers guys. I have decided to use Motueka for bitterness and NS for flavour and aroma. We'll see!

Sorry to hijack slightly, are they pretty bad for bittering then? Would I be better off with a clean bittering hop and mixing cascade and ns for aroma?

RobWalker said:
Sorry to hijack slightly, are they pretty bad for bittering then? Would I be better off with a clean bittering hop and mixing cascade and ns for aroma?

I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not my favorite for bittering. It's worth checking it out so you can make your own opinion.

RobWalker said:
great, cheers both :thumb: i've subscribed to your topic NB, so just post in there and i'll get it! :cheers:

Excellent - any excuse to drink beer Rob :D

I have it conditioning in Cornies and bottles - any preference?

Rob
I gave it a go and it was very young, but promising. I checked when I bottled it and it was only about 12 days ago and I find that you need about 4 weeks above 1045 so I'll give it another go in a couple of weeks. This is the first beer I have dry hopped so not really sure what to expect.
Cheers
NB

I just drank one of my NS beers, and I have to say that it tastes much better now that it's gotten older. I bottled these things about five months ago and they've really balanced out as time passed.

Sounds great! Will be interested to see what you think of the bittering power.

Made mine yesterday. I wax toying with the figures and decided to use my hood for bittering - very clean - and a mix of cascade and ns for the aroma, 10g of each to the gallon thrown in between 5 and 0 mins. It's fermenting today and smells just like ns, so hope plenty comes through!

Brewing this recipe on Tuesday. Decided in the end that I would use Motueka and a little US Cascade for bittering, Motueka and NS for flavouring and NS & US Cascade for aroma.

I'll post the recipe at some point.

Unfortunately, my single hop Nelson Sauvin stunner tastes horrible, but I think its due to an infection rather than the ingredients. I've given it a few weeks to mature now and its hard to describe the unpleasant taste, way beyond any fusel oil taint. :sick:

I did a fair amount of experimentation with a low temperature San Francisco yeast and it took ages to ferment out and around 15 to 16c and I think this is when it all went Pete Tong. Next time I will try the recipe with Nottingham or a Safale yeast.

Next brewday is Friday - going to do a Christmas quaffing ale.

More info on aroma...I did a 2 gallon batch and used 20g each of cascade and ns (brewdog use this ratio for dry hopping, 20g/gallon.)

It's mature now, and the aroma is about adequate. It could probably use a little more, but for no dry hop brewing, I'm quite pleased with the aroma, It needs more bitterness though, so I will say to have it in the 40s easily, as I found 30 to be underwhelming.

Recipe sounds awesome perilous! I'm sure you will be dead chuffed.

RobWalker said:
More info on aroma...I did a 2 gallon batch and used 20g each of cascade and ns (brewdog use this ratio for dry hopping, 20g/gallon.)
That's way more than any dry hopping I've ever done, but when I recently had a chat with the guys at Tiny Rebel brewery they thought I was mad for thinking that 100g of dry hops is a lot. I'm thinking of using my SNPA clone as a base and just changing up the hop profile until it's how I want. This thread looks to be the right place to start.

periolus said:
It is rumoured to be a bit rough, but recipes like Full Nelson use it as a single hop throughout.
Tiny Rebel's Full Nelson? They use a different hop for bittering, but NS for flavour and aroma. They did tell me what bittering hop they use, but I was drunk at the time and I've forgotten. It's a bloody fantastic beer anyway and I'd love to make something similar.

Back