Kiwi Pilsener

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got some New Zealand hops with a Pilsener in mind for this weekend.
First time I've be used them and hoping for any opinions/advice on this recipe I put together please.
Any other combinations to consider, perhaps it could be a single hop ?
Cheers !

I have 100gm each of Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka, Motueka and Moutere.

Planned Malt bill is Weyermann Bohemian Pilsener (90%) and Vienna (10%). 41 IBU ABV 5.1 EBC 7.7

Hop additions: 15gm Nelson at 60mins
15gm Motueka 10mins
5gm Nelson 10 mins
15gm Moteuka 80c hopstand 60 mins

70gm Moteuka dry hop 3 days

Lalbrew Diamond

Looks good to me. I brewed this one up from the Gladfield recipe book and it's one of my favourites. In fact i adapted it to a pseudo lager by using MJ M-54 so I could brew it more easily during the warmer weather and I reckon it's even better.
EDIT:
Gladiator is a tad darker than carapils- carapils would do just fine.
Sour grapes is acidulated malt

Traditional “Nyoo Zilund” Pilsener - NEW!
(X5. New Zealand Pilsener)
Batch Size
30L Kettle Full; ~23l (in fermenter)
Targets:
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
IBU 25-27
Colour 6-7 EBC
Est ABV 5.0%
Efficiency: 74%
Ingredients:
Malts
4.00 kg Gladfield Pilsner Malt (88%)
0.45 kg Gladfield Gladiator (10%)
0.10 kg Gladfield Sour Grapes (2%)
Hops
60min – 8g Pacific Jade 12.7% aa (10.4 IBU)
10min - 15g Riwaka 7.4% aa (4.5 IBU)
10g Pacific Jade 12.7% aa (5 IBU)
15g Nelson Sauvin 11.8% aa (4.6 IBU)
Whirlpool – Wort chilled to 80°C prior to hop addition - mix for 5min. Stand 10min
35g Nelson Sauvin 11.8% aa (1.5 IBU)
32g Pacific Jade 12.7% aa (1.5 IBU)
35g Riwaka 7.4% aa (1 IBU)Yeast
Lallemand Diamond Lager Yeast (2 Packets)

I've done a few kiwi pilsners, some better than others! I think my first and most recent (though not tasted the most recent yet) have/will be the best.

Looks good to me, motueka is quite delicate in my opinion so I might be tempted to up it a little bit? Maybe in the whirlpool?

This was my latest one

4kg Pilsner
1kg Vienna
150g Carapils

Mashed in at 65 for an hour at 62.

Hops... I couldn't find my pack of magnum so I used challenger for bittering....

So
35g Challenger @45
30g Riwaka @10
30g Riwaka @5
40g Riwaka hopsteep for 20 mins at 75c.

Didn't write down my IBU but my OG was 1046 or so and I liquored back to make it a bit weaker. 2x CML Hell.

@An Ankoù , I have got some MJ54 but was going to use it for a Cali Common in my next brew. I've done a few pseudo lagers using it and really enjoyed them, last one with similar malt bill to this and hopped with Hallertau Mittelfruh.

@pilgrimhudd , interested to hear that about Moteuka. Also have Riwaka so could substitute that and keep Moteuka back as a dry hop for another batch.

Would like to stick to combination of two in interests of trying to differentiate two new hop profiles.

Thanks fellas, anyhow mash is on now so will have to make my mind up in the next hour !

@An Ankoù , I have got some MJ54 but was going to use it for a Cali Common in my next brew. I've done a few pseudo lagers using it and really enjoyed them, last one with similar malt bill to this and hopped with Hallertau Mittelfruh.

@pilgrimhudd , interested to hear that about Moteuka. Also have Riwaka so could substitute that and keep Moteuka back as a dry hop for another batch.

Would like to stick to combination of two in interests of trying to differentiate two new hop profiles.

Thanks fellas, anyhow mash is on now so will have to make my mind up in the next hour !
If you want to try something different, do a pseudo-lager with Nectaron. it's a lovely hop. In fact I'm just about to sparge my mash for the current batch since The Wise One has necked most of it down!

My latest one is very pineapple(y) from the Riwaka. Good luck! 👍
Like the sound of that !
Following your advice I've swapped Moteuka for Riwaka. The AA% is a bit lower so dropped the ten min addition and split it 50gm hopstand and 50gm dry hop.
Just about to start the boil, the Nelson Sauvin is very pungent !

If you want to try something different, do a pseudo-lager with Nectaron. it's a lovely hop. In fact I'm just about to sparge my mash for the current batch since The Wise One has necked most of it down!

Not heard of Nectaron, sounds interesting ! Will have a read up on that.
All my pseudo lagers have been very drinkable but I've been trying out Lalbrew Diamond as a genuine cool fermented Pilsener.
There is a difference. The Diamond does have a cleaner neutral flavour more to style. While MJ54, though I like it, has it's own unique flavour which I can't quite put my finger on.
Advantage of pseudo lagers also is that you can start drinking them sooner !

Like the sound of that !
Following your advice I've swapped Moteuka for Riwaka. The AA% is a bit lower so dropped the ten min addition and split it 50gm hopstand and 50gm dry hop.
Just about to start the boil, the Nelson Sauvin is very pungent !

Not heard of Nectaron, sounds interesting ! Will have a read up on that.
All my pseudo lagers have been very drinkable but I've been trying out Lalbrew Diamond as a genuine cool fermented Pilsener.
There is a difference. The Diamond does have a cleaner neutral flavour more to style. While MJ54, though I like it, has it's own unique flavour which I can't quite put my finger on.
Advantage of pseudo lagers also is that you can start drinking them sooner !

I didn't really get on with Nelson but then I went big with a Nelson SMASH and found it overpowering. :laugh8:

Nectaron sounds good, I think CML have it, I was thinking of doing a SMASH with it soon, perhaps have it ready for spring.

Back