Just a simple cider recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinson1

Reaction score
Im just after a simple cider recipe for 5L! This will be my first cider and just wanted to try it out! Havnt really looked into making cider! Can i use wine yeast? Are wine and coder yeast different? I will change the recipe for the flavours i want! Like maybe a passionfruit cider! Thanks

Im making turbo cider. That's basically cider made using just apple juice.

I grabbed 4 litre packs of not from concentrate fresh pressed apple juice from sainsburys.

Then added 350g of tinned pears which I mashed. Just to add a rounded flavour.

Should endup around 5-6% roughly. I plan to let it ferment for 2 weeks or more then rack it into a second demijohn for a month or more then bottle it and leave for a while.

Im using gervin ale yeast but wine yeast should work.

If you want a stronger brew add more sugar but be warned once added its hard to remove. So calculate it accordingly.

I've made a few t/c variants using this:
3.5 ltr cheap apple juice 100% from concentrate.
1ltr other juice (pomegranite/mango/pineapple/cranberry/boiled vimto) try any or just use another ltr of apple.
1tsp pectolase (optional but helps if juice added is cloudy) I always use.
1 tsp nutrient.
1 tsp wine yeast.
2 teabag tannin.
I get 8 x500ml bottles from this adding 1tsp sugar to each bottle for priming(I only like fizzy cider). I sometimes add some sweetener if the cider tastes a bit harsh.
You could add more sugar if you want to up the abv but 5-6% is fine for me so I don't bother.

I have been looking into doing a cider like this for the first time and i just wondered about the juice. I have found several in the supermarket (ASDA) that say they are not from concentrate but all list water (obviously harmless) and antioxidant ascorbic acid in there ingredients and i'm not sure about this antioxidant ascorbic acid. Is it ok to use?

I have been looking into doing a cider like this for the first time and i just wondered about the juice. I have found several in the supermarket (ASDA) that say they are not from concentrate but all list water (obviously harmless) and antioxidant ascorbic acid in there ingredients and i'm not sure about this antioxidant ascorbic acid. Is it ok to use?

The recipe below would suggest it is fine.

Shop-bought apple juice cider (Turbo cider*).

Ingredients:

4.5 litres (1 gallon) of apple juice (can be from concentrate, but pressed is best)

1 tsp of pectolase (to remove pectin)

1 tsp wine tannin (adds bite)

1tsp Malic acid (cider apples have high levels of this, eating apples don't)

Cider or champagne yeast

Method:

Add 4 litres of apple juice, pectolase, tannin and malic acid to a clean, sterilised demijohn or 1 gallon bucket with lid. Ensure the temperature of the mix is above 18°C and below 24°C and sprinkle the yeast onto the liquid's surface. Seal the demijohn or bucket with a bung/lid and airlock and try to keep at 18-20°C. After a few days, once the most vigourous fermentaion is over and the froth has subsided, top up with the remaining half litre of apple juice. Fermentation should take under a week, but may take longer. Once the bubbling of the airlock has stopped, draw off a sample and check the gravity with a hydrometer. It should be around the 1.000 or 0.998 mark. If it's higher than this, say 1.006, leave for a few more days to finish fermenting.

Once fermentation has definitely finished, siphon into sterilised bottles. If you want fizzy cider, add 1/2 tsp of sugar to each bottle before siphoning the cider in. For best results, leave the cider in a cool, dark place, to mature for 2-3 months. Serve well chilled and enjoy!

If you want a stronger cider, you can add 200g of sugar to each demijohn, before adding the apple juice.

*Allegedly called turbo cider, as you don't have to grow your own apples, plus it's a quick and easy method!

This is almost exactly the recipie i plan to follow tonight for my first 2 batches.

I plan to add 100g sugar to DJ1 and 200g sugar to DJ2. Upon bottling i plan to sparkle it!

HERES to hope!

I've made a few t/c variants using this:
3.5 ltr cheap apple juice 100% from concentrate.
1ltr other juice (pomegranite/mango/pineapple/cranberry/boiled vimto) try any or just use another ltr of apple.
1tsp pectolase (optional but helps if juice added is cloudy) I always use.
1 tsp nutrient.
1 tsp wine yeast.
2 teabag tannin.
I get 8 x500ml bottles from this adding 1tsp sugar to each bottle for priming(I only like fizzy cider). I sometimes add some sweetener if the cider tastes a bit harsh.
You could add more sugar if you want to up the abv but 5-6% is fine for me so I don't bother.

Back