Hard water.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davdandy

Reaction score
It was said somewhere the water will affect flavour.I live in a hard water area and it isnt very nice at all,but have filters on my American style fridge.Should i use the chilled filtered water and leave the tap stuff alone?

If the tap water tastes bad I wouldn't use it....either use the carbon filtered fridge water or buy some in 5ltr containers (about £1 each and containers are useful) from the supermarket..

Hmm.... I guess it depends on why you reckon it doesn't taste nice! It won't be because it's hard water, nothing wrong with that. In fact, different beer styles have evolved to use different water types (examples are Burton beers - lots of dissolved salts in the water - versus say Guinness, where the style suits a softer water). But don't get hung up on this just yet!
Is the nasty taste because it tastes strongly of chlorine I wonder?
Anyway, if you think the filtered water from your fridge tastes fine, then I'd say that your best bet is to use that, at least to start yourself off. Don't worry about hardness, you'll get a decent brew. Plus, if the water tastes nice to you, it'll boost your confidence that the beer will also taste nice!

I would say if your tap water tastes fine for your drinking to you then it will probably be okay.. If you're making beer kits then for now there is probably less of a reason to worry.

Latest posts

Back