Coopers Stout recipe?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be great. I might prime a few bottles with treacle and some with sugar to creat a good comparison. How much cocoa powder and syrup did you end up using?

calumscott said:
I did the other (Irish) one at full length using all DME then batch primed with black treacle. It is sensational.

I can't imagine that this recipe will be anything other than dangerously drinkable! :cheers: :drunk:

I've just put a batch of Coopers Irish Stout on today, intrigued with the black treacle batch priming Calum :wha:

Howd you do it exactly? :wha:

:cheers:

Took about half a pint of beer out with a sterile ladle (on account of having no tap!), added 110g (ish) of treacle and brought just to the boil.

Lid on, leave to cool a little. Pour carefully into spare fv. Syphon stout in after making sure not to splash. Bottle straight away.

Some might say 110g is too much but I like a bit more fizz and I've been struggling with getting a decent head, it worked perfectly for me, YMMV.

calumscott said:
Took about half a pint of beer out with a sterile ladle (on account of having no tap!), added 110g (ish) of treacle and brought just to the boil.

Lid on, leave to cool a little. Pour carefully into spare fv. Syphon stout in after making sure not to splash. Bottle straight away.

Some might say 110g is too much but I like a bit more fizz and I've been struggling with getting a decent head, it worked perfectly for me, YMMV.

Hmmm... so your racking off to another FV to add your priming liquid to the brew. Wonder if it would just be easier to inject treacle mix into your bottles with a medicine syringe or similar :wha: Canny tip anyway - may give this a go :clap:

oldstout said:
calumscott said:

Hmmm... so your racking off to another FV to add your priming liquid to the brew. Wonder if it would just be easier to inject treacle mix into your bottles with a medicine syringe or similar :wha: Canny tip anyway - may give this a go :clap:

I can't see that being anything more than a total hassle.

For the sake of a tenner for a spare fv (which comes in handy for all sorts) you'll save yourself a lot of pain!

Well, just bottled my lager. Had a sneaky pint of it, and gotta say, tastea really nice. Even tho it's flat, was really nice...

So, will be moving on to doing this probably at the weekend (or tonight if nothing else to do).

The ideas people have added about adding coffee and choc sound good. But, wondering if I should just follow instructions, as it's a big change to normal add is (1.5kg of dme plus sugar!). Decisions, decisions, lol...

Then, my next query comes to the water. Last btw,I used bottled spring water, topped up with tap water (about 3l). Now,I was intending on just using tap water, but putting a campdens tablet in, as has chlorine in the water. It's also quote hard. Ideally, would user water filter, but would take forever and end up being chapter to but bottled water.

When do you put the tablet in the water? Before mixing, our can it be added at end to the final brew (just before adding yeast)?

Cheers

Well, just doen a search, and looks like I found my own answer to the question:

Chlorine will boil out, chloramine not so much. Has to be done before using the water in brewing, as the chlorine reacts faster with the phenolics than it boils away.

One campden tablet for 20 gallons of water, five minute contact time, and your good to go, but do it before you use the water to brew with.

The reason you can't do anything after the fact is because the chlorine reacts with the phenolics to produce a chlorophenols. These are chemically very stable and the SO2 from the campden tablet won't remove the chlorine once it's bonded to the phenol.

Will start new thread for other questions, as nothing to do with this topic (neither was this really, but hey ho :p)

Well, I got round to brewing this tonight ... again to the disgusted look of the missus :shock: :wha: :roll: :nono:

Anyway, came out looking good. Brewed it to roughly 20l (as didn't I haven't gotten around to calibrating the FV, and it doesn't have any markings at all...).

Anyway, sanitised everything, added campden tab (well, half of one crushed) to 20l of water. Mixed the DME with cold water, mixed the muscavado sugar with hot water. Then, added all the cold water to around 20l. Ensured everything fully mixed in. Then, took a sample in test tube, and read SG:

XgMSh.jpg

Looked at around 1.056 to me. A bit lower than I expected, but I was happy with the outcome:

idfYS.jpg

Thought I'd taste the mixture, and as I read the SG, noticed it'd changed:

a7jje.jpg

So, took a temp reading, and the temp was then at 17.6. So, according to the calculators, the corrected SG for the temp is 1.061... Anyway, tasted it, and to me, it tasted a very sweet, but nice, stout. Could taste little hints a sweet coffee. So, was quite happy with that. So, got it out in to the water bath, and because I've heard these can be volatile, I connected up my syphon tube through airlock in lid to a bottle in the second FV:

i69Kp.jpg

Hopefully all should go through well. Temp in FV will go to around 22'c, and it recommends to brew at 21-27... So, hopefully all should go through well. Will update in time :)

Good stuff. Im brewing this kit tomorrow morning so would be interested to see how volatile your is by tonight!

Nice pictures. :clap:

I am also brewing this kit tomorrow morning (possibly tonight though if bottling the current batch goes to plan). I am going to add 500-750g of coaco powder to mine to give a really strong chcolate taste hopefully.

alanywiseman said:
Nice pictures. :clap:

I am also brewing this kit tomorrow morning (possibly tonight though if bottling the current batch goes to plan). I am going to add 500-750g of coaco powder to mine to give a really strong chcolate taste hopefully.

Cheers. Was thinking if I wanted to add some extras to it, would probably do on secondary ferment anyway... Went to check this morning, and was a little disappointed that there was no action. Altho it was a little low on temp ... was only 20c. So, put up thermostat a little and hopefully kickstarted it off. Will update tonight...

Had a check on it last night, and it had started bubbling up a little, but not much really. Was quite disappointed. Went to the garage this morning to get some meat out the freezer, and had a nice beer smell. Looked over at FV, and was greeted with this:

kNa18.jpg

Took off lid to had a look, and bubbling away nicely:

gQO3h.jpg

Put the lid on again, and air was pushing it off again. So left if slightly ajar. My syphon tube doesn't look to have helped much. Had a look, and there was a very small amount that'd gone through there! lol...

Hopefully be all mostly fermented out by Thursday when I can rack off to secondary FV. Got the in-laws coming round next weekend, so won't have a chance to rack off then. But looks like all should be good if carries on like this :)

Great stuff, looks mega :thumb:

What I want to know is.....

How do you do a thread with the photos in like yours?? I wanted to do this to get answers about a duff batch of lager I did recently but was told I had to join photobucket or similar?

I'd love to know how you did your thread for future reference ;) other forums I use, (not brewing ones) don't require the carry on of a separate server for pics...... :wha:

Way I did my pics, wad to go to imgur website, and upload to there. It then creates links to post for forums... Doesn't need you to sign up either :grin:

Just pitched the yeast into my chocolate stout brew. Went for 750g cocoa powder boiled with 1kg dark spray malt and water. This was then added to 2 Irish stout cans and 1kg brewing sugar. Fingers crossed it is really chocolatey :pray:

I didn't take a OG because I thought the cocoa powder would affect it. Should end up with a 9% stout :D

Well, the explosion has finished now. All settled back down...

I was gonna rack this off in to secondary in a few days, but since this has already made a massive mess, and I don't really like the idea of everything around the beer going off (the spilt head in the water already smells as if it's turning off), was gonna rack to secondary and leave it to ferment in there for a another week of so, before bottling...

Good idea, or am I best leaving it in the current FV for a bit?

It won't do any harm, only thing you risk is oxidation but if your careful I'm sure you'll be fine!

God cant believe how much it froths up. I might make the kit with with less. Would ome out ok if i only used 15 ltrs of water in the FV then when Ive racked it top it up to the norm 23? I've never done this before

Well, I racked off to secondary this morning. All seemed to go well.

Had a nice taste to it, that felt wrong tasting at 9am! Hehe. Especially considering the gravity was at 1.013, making this approximately 6% ABV so far. Could still see a few bubbles going on, so don't think it's finished yet. Will check in a few days how it's going, andwhen finished child crash for a few days. Looking to bottle in around a Weeks time. Hopefully gravity will drop to around 1.008 making this 6.8% :grin:

Few piccies (if this works):

d4b78076-c665-c1c5.jpg

d4b78076-c676-e24f.jpg

d4b78076-c685-37e3.jpg

Back