Cleaning FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having done a number of dark ales recently, and a chocolate porter only this week, of of my FV's is looking rather sorry for it's self.
Pretty much stained brown internally.

I don't want to use bleach to clean it, is there anything available or do I just accept it.

Bleach for me to clean and sterilise.
Sodium percarbonate (= oxy clean or whatever) also good for cleaning.
Anything else too expensive for me!

I'm always worried about bleach leving a smelly residue behind.

pop it in the shower clean with bleach and rinse the death out of it, doing it in the shower lets you rinse and rinse over and over.

I then tend to fill it up with clean water and let it sit for a bit to steep/get rid of anything that might still be there. probably over kill

Bleach works great. Just rinse well. Oxiclean is also great. But it has to be hot water. Oxiclean activates above 40 degrees.

+1 for oxy crystals. I fill with hot water, add crystals, leave overnight then rinse thoroughly next day. Quick rinse and sanitise before next fill and haven't noticed any smells or flavours.

Make sure they are not perfumed oxy crystals for laundry or dishwashers!

Thin bleach is an option. I had never heard of it til about three months ago. Its cheap as chips (sayings a bit out of touch with reality now). Or the OXI stuff from poundland already mentioned. Wizz.
They should sell the non scratch scowers too

Bleach is great. It's the only really option in Japan. But my chemistry isn't as great as it used to. Not the same as Oxiclean. Not the same as StarSan. There are tons of routes that work for different situations. But sodium by WHAT EVER kills what we hate as brewers.
2 members on this forum can explain. Me? Too old and too... don't want to care but want to help my fellow brewers... tough dilemma.

I'm always worried about bleach leving a smelly residue behind.

Bleach is the best (&cheepest) sanitiser/ cleaner known to man. Just don't get one which is scented.
According to Charlie Papazian 1/3 teaspoon of household bleach is enough to sanitise 100 gallons of water, impressive stuff:-?
& 60ml mixed with 5 gallons will get rid of all FV stains overnight, rinse with warm hot water:thumb:

Slightly off topic should all these methods be ok to clean my BIAB bag? its a disgrace...:oops:

Anyone tried this? 89p

DSC_1158.jpg

DSC_1159.jpg

Latest posts

Back