southend newbie. overcharged and bad service?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john-66

Reaction score
Hi all, dont really want to start off my time here with a moan but I want to know if anyone else has had the same experience and to hopefully warn other newbies to look at what your buying. I have just purchased my first king keg for £49 from a long standing homebrew shop in Westcliff on sea in Southend ,Essex. I asked the owner if it had the normal valve that takes the small capulets with the plastic holder and he told me yes. I also purchased a cantina pinot For £33 and a Muntons pilsner for £25. I later found out that all theses items where well over priced for over the counter sales but also that the valve was a S30 not a standard pin valve like he said. I asked if he would swap the valve as he had given me the wrong information and he said he would at a price. I mentioned I had just spent over one hundred pounds with him and that he had misled me in the first place, his answer was he would give no refund and if i dont like it dont shop there.
Has anyone else had this sort of treatment and is this the kind of service that im gonna have to expect in this trade. Unfortunately he is the only over the counter shop in Southend so it looks like online from now on. As I said sorry to start my time here with a negative but its left me kind of jaded.

Cliff at beers unlimited gave me some duff advice and took my cash when I first started up again, losing what could be long term custom for short term gain does not seem like keen business sense to me. But hey ho.

Trading standards and the Sale of Goods Act are your friends here.

I suspect that is the LHBS that has a presence on eBay as well charging well over the odds for beer and Wine kits.

I say support you LHBS . . .but ones like this just need to wise up, and realise that if they want to be in business they need us more than we need them. They really should try and be more like the Forum Sponsors (Images above), or The Malt Miller / Worcester Hop Shop, Customer Service is second to none from these guys :thumb: :thumb:

Welcome to the forum though

john-66 said:
his answer was he would give no refund and if i dont like it dont shop there.
Miserable git, the saying of “support your local homebrew shop, use it or lose it” only goes so far, he doesn't deserve your trade, stuff him!

No, that isn't the sort of service you should expect in this trade, or any other.

Sorry you've had to start off with a gripe, but stick with us, and check out the banner sponsors and numerous recommendations from satisfied customers at other suppliers.

For what it's worth, the S30 connector is probably the better option, unless you've already got the sparklets injector.

Moley said:
For what it's worth, the S30 connector is probably the better option, unless you've already got the sparklets injector.

You can get S30 sized plastic holders for the 8mm bulbs.

Ditto above - welcome to the forum,
I would go with the others advice - shop around and use the internet and fleabay - these idiots overcharging deserve to go out of business. Typical ripp off britain strikes again.
At least on the net there are no hidden charges apart from postage but most will do free post after spending over a certain limit.

Nice to meet you John.

It would be nice to think that he comes in here and sees the good publicity he's getting!

:cheers:

I`m going to stand up for Cliff, very surprised at your treatment. I`ve been buying my needs there for around 20 years and never had a problem. I have returned bits before and he`s always been OK. Admit some of his advice is more David Line era rather then Graham Wheeler era but there's always better advice on forums like this one. All way thought he was more of a wine man than beer man. Over the years he has given me several vac. packs of hops past sell by date because he does not feel right selling them even though they are OK to use along with other bits and pieces. When ingredients have been out of stock he has delivered them to my house a few days later. A local micro (wibblers) states on his web site how he was a great help when he was starting up. I know his prices are a bit higher but that seems to be the same for all LHBS. Sorry to here of your experiance, I am happy to pass on your comments when I go there just after Xmas.

Tony said:
It would be nice to think that he comes in here and sees the good publicity he's getting!

Better still print off the post and pop it in his letterbox....or hand it to him...what is the matter with these folks that think they can charge what they want...What a rip off shop... :evil:

Any how welcome John 66...sorry you got ripped off...stick to the net....the forum sponsers deserve our trade.. :thumb: :thumb:

Not all hbs are like this i use a hamstead home brew and Chris 's help and advice was really helpfull .Sounds like this guy doesnt really appreciate his customers and it would serve him right if he ended up going out of business .
As most of the others have said support the forum sponsors or the fore mentioned sellers they are tried and tested and can be relied on .
Anyway welcome to the forum :cheers:

Welcome to the forum John. Lots of good advice here, enjoy your brewing.

Welcome aboard John :thumb: and sorry to hear of your bad experience.
It's well worth having a good look around at HBS and to ask advice on the forum.
Most reputable retailers (like the forum sponsors for example) are well priced, offer excellent service and are looking to keep your business (as any business should)

Some retailers offer free delivery (eg, when you order in excess of £50), and give discounts on orders over £100, well worth a look around :thumb:

We had a shop like that in widnes, the owner was a right arrogant git, he retired earlier this year, don’t know how he managed to stay in business for over forty years, i stopped going in there, started to get my stuff from a brew shop in St. Helens, the staff are really nice & helpful, (don’t do pay pal so cant order online)
Wecome to the Forum

Steve

welcome to the forum John, I recently got me a new hole ripped for me by a guy in great barr... I use online shops now

Thanks for all your good advice, and warm welcome!. I certainly will never be using him again and will take the advice and have a look at the forum sponsors. Ive been into a couple of shops on my travels and would like to say that the owner of the colchester homebrew shop and the owner of sylkens in Gorleston near Great Yarmouth have convinced me that not all homebrew shops are as bad as my local Westcliff one.They both stood there for hours just chatting about all types of brewing methods not once trying to actually sell me anything, though needless to say I did leave with my arms full anyway! :grin:

its a shame to see thing like this . the home brew shop is a dieing thing. do you want pin valve mate. i need a s30 will swop you. pm me if your intrested mate

Unfortunately shops are an expensive way of selling your goods, with high rents and rates staff costs etc, with the internet you don't need the overheads of a shop and thus online traders are a bit cheaper. Unfortunately by and large with online shops you don't get the advise and chit chat which is what made independent shops unique, but there again we forums like this for that now.

It is sad to see the demise of the high street, but unfortunately it is the way it is going and unlikely to come back.

I use a LHBS for bits and pieces but my nearest is about 10 miles away and I only go if I am passing that way, otherwise I use the malt miller.

I was an independent retailer until six years ago, the internet was beginning to decimate our trade with online companies selling goods cheaper than we could buy them. 10 years ago I would have whole heartedly supported my LHBS but I can now see the advantages of cheaper online suppliers like my customers did.

Times are tuff but ripping off customers is now way to keep them.

Cheers

AG

Back