Labour party

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember recently someone on the radio saying all labour have to do is keep on track and dont make any major cock ups and the general election is theirs, is this that cock up?

Sir Keir Starmer is under increasing pressure to change his position on the Israel-Gaza war, after a trio of senior Labour figures called for a ceasefire.
The move from mayors Sadiq Khan and Andy Burnham, and Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar, puts them at odds with their party leader.
Sir Keir has not called for a ceasefire, instead backing humanitarian pauses to help aid reach Gaza.
Labour frontbencher Steve Reed has defended Sir Keir's position.
The shadow minister said humanitarian pauses would allow aid to enter Gaza "without stopping Israel taking action to disable the terrorists who attacked them in the first place".
In stopping short of backing a full ceasefire, the Labour leader is aligned with the UK government, as well as the US and EU.
Compared to a formal ceasefire, humanitarian pauses tend to last for short periods of time, sometimes just a few hours.
They are implemented purely with the aim of providing humanitarian support, as opposed to achieving long-term political solutions.

Israel began its bombing campaign in Gaza, cut off electricity and most water, and stopped imports of food, fuel and other goods in retaliation for a cross-border attack by Hamas on 7 October, in which at least 1,400 people were killed and 224 taken hostage.
Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry says 7,000 people have been killed in the territory since then, and that its health system is facing total collapse.
In a statement earlier, Mr Khan said Israel had a "right to defend itself" following the "appalling terror attack" of 7 October.
But he added a ceasefire would "allow the international community more time to prevent a protracted conflict in the region and further devastating loss of life".
In a statement, Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham and local council leaders said Israel had the right to take "targeted action within international law".
They added they had "profound concerns" about loss of lives in Gaza, and that it was "vital that urgent support and humanitarian aid is allowed into the area".
The leaders said there should be a ceasefire "by all sides" and that all hostages should "be released unharmed".
In a video, Scottish Labour leader Mr Sarwar said: "We need to see the immediate release of hostages, immediate access to humanitarian supplies... and the immediate cessation of violence with an end of rocket fire into and out of Gaza."
"And let me be clear, that means a ceasefire right now," he added.

On Wednesday, shadow Scottish secretary Ian Murray said Sir Keir was likely to be the next prime minister, and therefore had to be "very careful" with what he said.
"It's very easy for us all to sit in a warm bath of throwing around ceasefires, etc but Keir Starmer is in a very sensitive position," he added.
Asked why the UK was not calling for a cessation of violence, Education Secretary Gillian Keegan told ITV that the government would not "cross that line of telling Israel it has anything but the right to defend itself".
She said a humanitarian pause would enable British citizens to leave Gaza.

Full article - Labour divisions deepen over Gaza ceasefire stance

I wouldn't class "not having a definitive stance on a war we're not involved in" is a major **** up. Especially when Braverman is trying to get people locked up for chanting at a march.

Right wing press trying to figure out something negative to say about labour and coming up short ?

Ahh she's a fcking loon.
BBC:
"Home Secretary Suella Braverman had previously urged police chiefs to consider interpreting the "river to the sea" chant as an "expression of a violent desire to see Israel erased from the world"."
😯

I wouldn't class "not having a definitive stance on a war we're not involved in" is a major **** up.

Not calling for a ceasefire cannot be classed as "not having a definitive stance" its the opposite and in my view he made a major mistake saying it.

The press are going to have a field day with this -
Sir Keir Starmer is under increasing pressure to change his position on the Israel-Gaza war, after a trio of senior Labour figures called for a ceasefire.
The move from mayors Sadiq Khan and Andy Burnham, and Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar, puts them at odds with their party leader.
Sir Keir has not called for a ceasefire, instead backing humanitarian pauses to help aid reach Gaza.

Not calling for a ceasefire cannot be classed as "not having a definitive stance" its the opposite and in my view he made a major mistake saying it.

The press are going to have a field day with this -

As much as it may upset people now, I'm not sure it'll change people minds on who to vote for next year.

As much as it may upset people now, I'm not sure it'll change people minds on who to vote for next year.

You are probably right but it has blotted Kiers copybook, i doubt he will change his mind meaning the press will milk this for all its worth.

In stopping short of backing a full ceasefire, the Labour leader is aligned with the UK government, as well as the US and EU.
Interesting that it's only labour that are being singled out over this, and not the UK government (Tories), EU and USA. 🤷‍♂️

Interesting that it's only labour that are being singled out over this, and not the UK government (Tories), EU and USA. 🤷‍♂️

I think the reason Labour are being highlighted is that a substantial portion of the party would like Starmer to take a more critical stance on Israel. And the problems they had with anti Semitism under Corbyn (who of course Starmer backed to be prime minister) are bubbling just below the surface.

Conversely, there is not as much division over this issue in the Tories or in the USA (not sure about EU) which is why they arent attracting stories. On other issues where the Tories are divided but Labour are less so (eg anything to do with Europe for the last 30 years, and perhaps going forward net zero) the Tories attract plenty of coverage.

Which takes me to the root of this - I am not sure it is so much a cock up - just "events" exposing a pre existing issue in the party. The long run issue of politics is littered with game changing "events". The pandemic was an obvious one - without all the issues that were exposed in the Tories by the pandemic, Starmer would very likely be in a far inferior position in the opinion polls.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-...9a79f898b40e4897f59feb&pinned_post_type=share
this wont hurt them in the election but nothing boils my blood more than those who campaigned for longer school closures now getting all sanctimonious that children aren't attending school enough. Obviously the lockdowns and school closures were the Tories fault, but parents will not forget how badly this generation of politicians failed out children.

Latest posts

Back