What is the difference between Wyeasts and Safale etc?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm looking at re-jigging my bud lime recipe which calls for a Wyeast smack pack. What would be the difference if I used a Safale pack, or a-n-other, instead? Are there any real benefits to the Wyeast packs?

The reason I ask is that they are incredibly expensive IMO and if I'm not doing back to back brews it would make more sense to use a cheaper alternative.

What I don't want to do is compromise on quality or taste. The flavour I got from the German ale Wyeast was what I was shooting for but I was actually meant to be using an American Ale 1056 (which wasn't in stock), it was a random choice going for the German Ale.

Basically would I notice a major change with using something like Safale US05? Is there any real point to going with Wyeast or is it just to have an easy liquid starter in a bag?

US-05 and 1056 are very similar yeasts but both seem a little unusual for an american light lager recipe as they are top fermenting.

richc said:
US-05 and 1056 are very similar yeasts but both seem a little unusual for an american light lager recipe as they are top fermenting.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it. I'm not lagering though, if that makes any difference? Just making a clone for the moment.

I think on my next go I'll give the US-05 a try.

Is it just trial and error to picking a yeast to suit a brew or is there an actual method behind it?

As mentioned, US-05 and wyeast 1056 are fairly similar - both are fairly clean tasting and let hops come through, neither flocculates very highly etc. Where there's such similarity I personally would go for the US-05 just for ease, cost and shelf-life.

I do use liquid yeasts, for most recipies in fact, but only for characteristics that aren't available in the dried yeasts. I don't get them just because they are liquid - I don't really believe dried yeast tastes any worse, theres just less choice in it.

(I can't really comment on it in a lager-type recipe though, I've only used it in ales).

Cheers
kev

Thanks very much for the info kev888 :thumb:

I'll definitely give the safale a go :)

zgoda said:
For any lager dry Saflager w34/70 is top choice.

Can I ferment out at 20 degrees with that though? I don't have any way of keeping the temps down at the moment so I have to brew at Ale temps.

Latest posts

Back