What is an easy brew for a starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a beer starter kit but the problem is I really want to make something similar to the beers I buy/drink.

I usually stock my beer fridge up with Tiny Rebel’s 18 pack.
Clwb Tropica (Tropical IPA), $5 shake (tropical milkshake beer) and Cali Pale Ale. If I’m looking for something different I’ll buy Beavertown Gamma Ray (American PA) or Neck Oil (Tropical PA). Big fan of the 330ml “bright” cans, and if I were to brew my own beer, I’d want to copy one of the mentioned (Clwb Tropica my fave).

Having looked through the kits, the closest would be an American PA, which I’m sure would be nice, but figured I’ll jump straight in and try boiling a recipe instead…

I’ve found some recipes on this site, there is a Gamma Ray recipe and a Tiny Rebel recipe.

Any advice for a complete newbie, any direction of something easy to start with, or any other recipe locations where I could find something that matches exactly what I want?

Perhaps even a kit if it’s close to my kind of thing?

Cheers 👍

Forget those, and make a wheat beer, or a pseudo lager, with single hop addition, to familiarise yourself with the process. You can mess up those hoppy styles very badly, what could lead to give up the hobby too eraly.

Muntons do a hazy IPA kit which will be relatively close to the beers you like. It seems to have had positive reviews on here and are fairly simple to brew

Forget those, and make a wheat beer, or a pseudo lager, with single hop addition, to familiarise yourself with the process. You can mess up those hoppy styles very badly, what could lead to give up the hobby too eraly.
I don't understand your logic. When the OP is asking for kits similar to what they like to drink, why say "forget it, brew something entirely different instead"?

Thanks for the advice, not really my kind of beers though - not a huge fan of lager and wheat beer is ok, but don’t think I could drink a whole keg of it. Would prefer to make something closer to what I drink if possible… Some of the kits mentioned sound promising 😁

Loving these suggestions- now I have a tough job to figure out which to go for. I do like a Hazy IPA but the Beavertown and Tiny Rebel brands are pulling me in. Coin toss between Neck Oil or CWTCH I think… Was just about to buy the CWTCH before SMP Brewery’s post… now I’m stuck 😂

You started the thread by asking what's an easy brew for a starter. The trouble is that the kinds of beers you want to copy are not straightforward since they rely on multiple hop additions and heavy dry-hopping, which needs particular care to avoid oxidation. @gyurmaember is right to suggest that, as the complete beginner you seem to be, you shouldn't make the learning curve too steep, rather you should make a decent, but less complicated beer to start with and, when you've got got a grip on the basic processes, move on to the more complicated recipes. On the other hand, you said elsewhere that you dad was a brewer and chemist and you could talk to him about the process.
My advice would be, at the very least, get a book like any of Graham Wheeler's books or even Greg Hughes and read it thoroughly to get an overview of the field you've got to cover.
Good Luck.
By the way, you can make some amazing beers with just a few ingredients and a couple of hop additions.

Multiple dry hop additions aren't any more complicated than a single dry hop additions.

Oxidisation isn't (in my opinion) the big bogeyman it's made out to be until you get into HUGE quantities of hops. Sure, you may lose a little fresh hop flavour, but it's not like the beer will be undrinkable.

Dry-hopped beers aren't quite as simple as non-dry hopped beers, but they're not that much more complicated and that's no reason not to brew one as a beginner. I would say pick the kit that you want to drink the most, brew it and see what it turns out like. You'll probably enjoy it more than a simpler recipe of a beer that's not your preferred tipple

I’ve read the instructions on both kits I was interested in (from your suggestions), purely down to more ingredients = more steps, the Tiny Rebel (CWTCH) kit from Muntons looks ok (the steps seem fairly straightforward for a beginner).

While a red beer isn’t usually my thing, I do like the fact I can follow their guide, even has a section on how to use a hydrometer 😁

I’ve not had a bad beer from them yet, favourite brewer, so quite keen on copying their award winning beer. and it ticks the box with regards to tropical taste. The Neck Oil I’m a bit more worried about, as it would mean boiling a recipe and I’m not sure if timings and temps on the boil can cause problems with taste or other factors? Perhaps Neck Oil is one I try when I’m used to the process and start off with CWTCH 🙂

Thanks again for the advice, the kit suggestions helped me find stuff I hadn’t seen online and the suggestions on what skill level to brew prompted me to actually read the instructions, realising kits can be easy or difficult (I’d assumed all kits were for beginners) 🤣

It depends what sort of kit you buy, some are all grain kits which require a boil and hop additions, others are more of a beginner's kit where you basically add water and yeast, and ferment it. The latter (extract kits) give you an insight into the basics before you end up buying loads of kit and end up with a shed full of beer.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I have a beer starter kit but the problem is I really want to make something similar to the beers I buy/drink.

Clwb Tropica (Tropical IPA), $5 shake (tropical milkshake beer) and Cali Pale Ale. If I’m looking for something different I’ll buy Beavertown Gamma Ray (American PA) or Neck Oil (Tropical PA). Big fan of the 330ml “bright” cans, and if I were to brew my own beer, I’d want to copy one of the mentioned (Clwb Tropica my fave).

Having looked through the kits, the closest would be an American PA, which I’m sure would be nice, but figured I’ll jump straight in and try boiling a recipe instead…

I’ve found some recipes on this site, there is a Gamma Ray recipe and a Tiny Rebel recipe.

Any advice for a complete newbie, any direction of something easy to start with, or any other recipe locations where I could find something that matches exactly what I want?

Cheers 👍
I love the IPA styles and in particular the hazy NEIPA style beers. I’ve just brewed a Muntons Hazy IPA which so far has been a doddle to brew, i say so far as i only just kegged it yesterday so am still to see what it finally turns out like, but so far so good.

Although it’s not an “All Grain” kit, it’s extract, i reckon it’s a good starting point for you, nice and simple and if nothing else it should give you something decent to drink while you decide what direction you want to take.

Like you, I’m new to all this and although I’ve had some good results with extract kits, I’m yet to master an All Grain kit. The 2 I’ve tried so far have both been failures and that’s down to me and my inexperience. One was a Neck Oil clone which i binned yesterday, well i actually fed the tomato plants with it. The other was a NEIPA which turned out drinkable, but nothing like a NEIPA.

I’m going to persevere with the “All Grain” as it gives so much more flexibility in the choice of recipes, but I’m waiting for a couple of bits of equipment to arrive which will hopefully improve the end results. Namely a re-circulation pump and an inline filter. On the fermentation side i have set up a closed transfer system which gives me, or should give me oxygen free beer going into the kegs.

Good Luck with whatever route you decide to go down and be patient.

Hi everyone,

Cheers 👍
Diving into a kit is a good way to iron out any bumps as a beginner. Often the kits can just be halved so you don't end up with 40 pints you don't really fancy. As mentioned earlier the Cwtch clone is v good, made that last year. Just let it mature (if you can wait a month or 2). I do understand your eagerness though, Tiny Rebel do some lovely juicy stuff.
You could take a look at this site, I've tried the London Pride and loved it.
www.brewuk.co.uk
Just remember everything MUST be Uber clean and try and maintain an even temp during fermentation best you can. Don't mean to teach you to suck eggs but we talk from 40 pints of fetid experience 😭
Best of luck!

Slightly confused as to why someone who labels themselves as 'IPA drinker' wants to be making stuff that is pretty far removed from an IPA. Just make an IPA.

Hi IPA Drinker
Like you I am also new to home brewing. I started in early June and am now on my 9th brew already…absolutely loving it. My advice, albeit as a novice, is to start with an easy Premium kit or two. Everything is included, maybe a little priming sugar required, and they are very easy to do, believe me. My first 3 kits were Woodforde’s Nelson’s Bitter, Tiny Rebel Cwtch and my absolute favourite is Festival Razorback IPA…….you’ll love it.
Get to know how to use your equipment and don‘t hurry. All good things come to those who wait! In no time you’ll be experimenting with different DMEs, LMEs and dry hopping.
Happy brewing, and don’t forget the Razorback!

Clwb tropica is a pretty complicated brew with several hops and fruits added at different stages.

If you're looking for a nice cheap and easy first all groan recipe you could try a SMaSH ale (single malt and single hop). I made a couple of maris otter and mosaic brews that I really enjoyed and you can look up standard hop amounts for an ipa per liter

Hi IPA Drinker
Like you I am also new to home brewing. I started in early June and am now on my 9th brew already…absolutely loving it. My advice, albeit as a novice, is to start with an easy Premium kit or two. Everything is included, maybe a little priming sugar required, and they are very easy to do, believe me. My first 3 kits were Woodforde’s Nelson’s Bitter, Tiny Rebel Cwtch and my absolute favourite is Festival Razorback IPA…….you’ll love it.
Get to know how to use your equipment and don‘t hurry. All good things come to those who wait! In no time you’ll be experimenting with different DMEs, LMEs and dry hopping.
Happy brewing, and don’t forget the Razorback!
This looks good- both the Festival razorback and CWTCH look appealing, 😁

I love the IPA styles and in particular the hazy NEIPA style beers. I’ve just brewed a Muntons Hazy IPA which so far has been a doddle to brew, i say so far as i only just kegged it yesterday so am still to see what it finally turns out like, but so far so good.

Although it’s not an “All Grain” kit, it’s extract, i reckon it’s a good starting point for you, nice and simple and if nothing else it should give you something decent to drink while you decide what direction you want to take.

Like you, I’m new to all this and although I’ve had some good results with extract kits, I’m yet to master an All Grain kit. The 2 I’ve tried so far have both been failures and that’s down to me and my inexperience. One was a Neck Oil clone which i binned yesterday, well i actually fed the tomato plants with it. The other was a NEIPA which turned out drinkable, but nothing like a NEIPA.

I’m going to persevere with the “All Grain” as it gives so much more flexibility in the choice of recipes, but I’m waiting for a couple of bits of equipment to arrive which will hopefully improve the end results. Namely a re-circulation pump and an inline filter. On the fermentation side i have set up a closed transfer system which gives me, or should give me oxygen free beer going into the kegs.

Good Luck with whatever route you decide to go down and be patient.
Love the comment on the tomato plant 🤣

Yeh, defo want to start easy with a result of something I enjoy drinking then increase complexity when I have the correct kit. Right now it’s actually a cider making kit, but looking at the list, it’s all the same stuff (mostly). I do have a question on bottling that I’ll start in a new thread…

Love the comment on the tomato plant 🤣

Yeh, defo want to start easy with a result of something I enjoy drinking then increase complexity when I have the correct kit. Right now it’s actually a cider making kit, but looking at the list, it’s all the same stuff (mostly). I do have a question on bottling that I’ll start in a new thread…
I don’t bottle as i have two corny kegs and i find it much easier, saying that, I’ve never bottled so I’m assuming it’s easier. It suits me anyway.

From my experience, which isn’t much to go by TBH, IPA’s and NEIPA’s can be tricky if you don’t pay attention to the transfer method, ie: bottling & kegging post fermentation. I’ve now adapted one of my wide neck fermenters to be used for “closed transfer” so there’s very little or no risk of oxidation and after reading some of the threads on here i guess i have basic amount of kit compared to others. 2 Corny’s, Co2 bottle plus all the connecting bits, serving taps etc, 2 fermenters and a heating element similar to one you would use in a fish tank and that’s about it really, apart from the usual Hydrometers, thermometers etc.

As has been mentioned by others, cleanliness is EVERYTHING so make sure you sterilise anything coming into contact with your wort-beer etc, it really is that important but if you’ve brewed cider you will know this already.

Give the Muntons kits a try, they turn out really well. My 1st was a West Coast IPA and it was so good it got drank over a weekend last christmas, not all by me i must add. If you prefer the more tropical styles then they do one of them as well, can’t remember the name but it’s on their website. There’s also Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session which i aim to brew next. There are literally loads out there, just depends on your taste i suppose.

Oh! And as for the tomatoes, they still haven’t fruited yet so i guess they didn’t like the Neck oil either 🤣🤣🤣

Latest posts

Back