The Range "Make your own" Rosé 30 bottle kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this going on Sunday and is bubbling away nicely. I noticed this morning that there's a slight eggy smell? The first couple if days just smelt like wine but like i said,this morning there was also a slight egg smell. I'm guessing this isn't normal?
Cheers
Gaz

Got this going on Sunday and is bubbling away nicely. I noticed this morning that there's a slight eggy smell? The first couple if days just smelt like wine but like i said,this morning there was also a slight egg smell. I'm guessing this isn't normal?
Cheers
Gaz

Did you add nutrient? When the yeast is stressed sometimes produces hydrogen sulphide, add a tsp of nutrient. Otherwise might be infected, but this early in ferment probably stressed yeast.

I have made many gallons of this wine and didn't notice the egg smell, the yeast sachet may have contained nutrient i have never added extra, let it finish and see how it turns out.

Cheers, ill leave it and see how it goes. Just got home from work and there's still a slight eggy smell. The airlock is constantly bubbling away so there's lots of activity. The only other thing I can think of is maybe I didn't clean my fv well enough after my last ipa brew!?

Cheers, ill leave it and see how it goes. Just got home from work and there's still a slight eggy smell. The airlock is constantly bubbling away so there's lots of activity. The only other thing I can think of is maybe I didn't clean my fv well enough after my last ipa brew!?

Was the date on kit near use by date? The yeast might be old hence stressed, I'm old and stressed and have an egg smell after a curry lol :lol:, a little nutrient if you have some might help. Alternatively, if any yeast remained from your previous ipa brew, then this yeast would definitely be stressed and contribute to the eggy smell.

Cheers mate. So would you say its nothing to worry about? (sorry its my first attempt at wine).It actually seemed better this morning so fingers crossed.
Cheers
Gaz

Its been in for 8 days now and all activity seems to have stopped.
So I had a taste and all seems good :-).
I took an initial reading which was 1.096 and a final reading today that was 0.996 so I'm getting that at just over 13% which is fine by me :-)
I've added the finings and done everything the instructions suggest but I'm unsure if I should leave to clear at the same temp it fermented at (22 degrees) or to turn off the heat?

Thanks
Gaz

Good to hear that the eggy has gone, must have hatched and flown off...lol

Turn the heat off, save a few pennies :) Warmth not going to help if you've stopped it fermenting.

Good to hear that the eggy has gone, must have hatched and flown off...lol

Turn the heat off, save a few pennies :) Warmth not going to help if you've stopped it fermenting.

Yeah cheers mate.....no eggyness remains and it actually tastes rather good :-)
I think its going to be a very 'merry' Christmas :-)

My first attempt at making wine and i used this kit. Made a little error in not degassing correct so was a little cloudy, all 30 bottles now full, had a bottle last night and its a very close taste to the straw hat wine the wife likes. I think next time i will only put 100g of sugar instead of the 750g as the sweetness is a bit much for me after a few glasses. I would recommend this rose wine kit for the price.athumb..

I think next time i will only put 100g of sugar instead of the 750g as the sweetness is a bit much for me after a few glasses.

I mentioned this in the original post here it sounded too much so i didn't put any in and i was glad i didn't.

The instructions tell you to add 750g of sugar to back sweeten after you have stabilised and degassed it, i decided to leave it dry as Mrs Tea doesn't like sweet wine and i am glad i did as it would have been way to sweet for our tastes.

We have a branch of the range opening up in Inverness , nice to know they do home brew stuff ...... this is going to cost me lol

I've just made and drunk the Range white wine kit and the rose, I like these kits they are easy to do, and whe wine is okay, although I only get 28 bottles, I left mine for two weeks after bottling and found this okay.
I now have just bottled a Cellar 7 Chardonnay a lot more expensive than the Range, and only made 26 bottles, again I leave all these kits for two weeks before sipping, will be interesting to see as the Cellar 7 being more pricey will it be a lot better than the Range.

Latest posts

Back