Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Coffee, Kombucha & Mead Forum > Topping up Mead.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 28-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #11
BeerCat

Liked 660 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Good advice. Tannin is not necessary. The crossmyloof recipe uses a chopped apple, juice of a lemon and a handfull of raisins although really that's not a Mead anymore. Makes a good mead with their yeast and clears fairly quickly but finishes semi sweet. I like to use a high alcohol yeast (gv4 or lalvin) and ferment it to dry around 14 ABV then sweeten with water and honey when it clears. Nutrient feeding really helps as well and i shake the crap out of it and agitate daily for first week.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 28-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #12
Zephyr259

Liked 83 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 120

From experience I'd drop the lemon, my first batch had an acid blend in it but it finished drier than expected so was way too sour, acidity can be adjusted at bottling time. That batch also stalled out really early (1.090) probably due to the acid. Most recipes I see now add a small amount of potassium bicarbonate to buffer the pH, otherwise it tends to drop too low and stall the yeast.

If you want a decent and quick test batch then I'd recommend the following.

3 jar tesco finest orange blossom honey dissolved in water and topped up to 5 L should give approximately 1.060, 1 tsp nutrient, I use Tronozymol because it's got more in it than the generic nutrient which is just nitrogen. Then I've fermented with Lalvin D47 and Safale S-04, the former went to 1.000 and I carbonated it, the latter got stabilised at 1.004 because I wanted a little sweetness and a still wine, would have been fine left to go dry.

I think I added tannin to the 2nd but not the first, there is a mouthfeel to the 2nd but I'm not sure it's needed.

Having tried using cheap honey I'd recommend getting nicer stuff. The finest honey is £2.99 up here and it leaves a lovely sweet, floral/orange flavour which was totally missing with the cheaper generic honey.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine

Conditioning
Belgian Brunette

Fermenting
Farmhouse Saison

Planned
Barleywine Braggot, Scottish 80/-, Bock

Old 28-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
Hellz Bellz

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input people. Really helpful. I will have a go. I tend not to go into the technical stuff so will keep it as simple as I can and will report back. Cheers.
GerritT Likes This 

Tags
mead, topping up, topping up water