It's been 20 years!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Patterson

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just joined the Forum - it looks a terrific resource for home brewers. The last time I brewed beer (was never any good at wine for some reason) was about 20 years ago! There were no helpful forums like this back then!

Really want to get back into home brewing again and still have all my old kit! Not sure if I should dig it out, clean it and use it again or should I start from scratch with all new stuff? I have 2 barrels, 2 buckets, tubing etc. would it be safer to buy new / clean stuff again?

Anyway, looking forward to getting back into it. Think I might look for a local home brew shop near where I live in Mold, Flintshire (North East Wales) and ask their advice.

Cheers
Kevin

Welcome. :cheers: I would check out your old stuff first before buying new. A bucket is a bucket and unless it's full of scratches it should be fine.

welcome! you will likely need to change the rubber washers on your kit so take them to the home brew store with you. everything else providing it's in working order should be okay. i'd be tempted to get a new bucket just to avoid any dodgy bacteria which could ruin your brew.

good luck with it! welcome back!

Kevin I've just joined myself and must say I am impressed with the support I have relieved already. Everyone is so encouraging. Welcome and enjoy!

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome messages :). This really is a fantastic forum with such a lot of great advice. I did replace the rubber washers as well as get a new bucket (thanks Rob) - one with a sealed lid and air lock - really good as I used to use buckets with just lids before - how things have changed!

My first beer is well under way now - a Munton's Premium Gold - just had a sneaky taste after measuring the SG (not quite there yet, but gave it a little stir following advice on here to get it going again and is now bubbling away) and it tasted pretty good - and it's not even ready for the barrel yet!

I've also just made a Youngs Wine Buddy 7 day Wine Kit - Red Wine and bottled it this evening - really wasn't expecting much in 7 days but wow, it was pretty good and very drinkable! I guess it should taste even better if I can resist drinking it for a few weeks / months!

Cheers! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back